Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Talking Whisk(e)y

<< < (12/13) > >>

David in MN:
I went on a lark at Costco and bought the co-branded Lagavulin Game of Thrones 9 year House Lannister. It's not worth the $50 price tag. It's solid and I get the Lagavulin smoke and there is peat and seaweed and it has that weird mint/menthol finish but it's just not as complex as a Lagavulin 16 which would only be $20 more. It's not bad but it just can't hold a candle to its bigger brother. And if you like this type of whisky you can find Ardbeg 10 (which is better in my opinion) a few bucks cheaper.

If you're an Islay fanboy like me it might be worth the price to try. A little sweet for my taste but not bad other than I can compare it to better variants. But if you're the guy who says Lagavulin 16 would be perfect if it was a little milder, sweeter, and had more tobacco flavors this is for you.

And it's a limited run so if you have the inkling get it now.

Carver:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on September 19, 2018, 07:51:21 PM ---I am drinking a Brandy Old Fashioned at the moment. Is that big in MN? It is in WI.

--- End quote ---
When we went out east I asked for Brandy at the liquor store and the clerk asked if I was from Wisconsin. He said the only time they sell it is when someone from Wisconsin visits.

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on September 19, 2018, 07:51:21 PM ---I am drinking a Brandy Old Fashioned at the moment. Is that big in MN? It is in WI.

--- End quote ---

Just looked up the recipe and see that it calls for bitters. Do you make your own or buy?

David in MN:
Compass Box Peat Monster.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Ardbeg was the backbone here. There's no mistaking the Ardbeg flavor and it is my favorite whisky. But the blenders at Compass Box (they don't distill but only blend to make their taste in whisky) have made something amazing.

It has the phenolic smoke I love of Ardbeg and the minty liftoff of Lagavulin but there is a foil. Unlike single malts from Islay it really has a fruit forward middle where I get citrus and there is this beautiful malt nougat flavor that carries through.

I wish I could explain the love of Islay whisky. Not for beginners. It's a gritty dram for those of use who like kippers over a smoldering fire. But the few of us who find a Chardonnay middle to Ardbeg will get this. I still question.. is it apricot or grapefruit?

At the end of the day if you like peaty smoky Scotch give Compass Box Peat Monster a try. Will I give up Ardbeg 10 for it? No. Lagavalun 16? No. But it does show what a blended whisky can do to highlight different points of the source Scotch. And at a reasonable price.

machinisttx:
I usually stick to Knob Creek and prefer the single barrel reserve when I can find it. Never tried the Evan Williams single barrel, but their regular stuff was hit or miss...sometimes good and other times not. Tried some scotch once. Must be an acquired taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version