Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Talking Whisk(e)y

(1/13) > >>

David in MN:
Yes, I am a whiskey guy. I love bourbon and Scotch. Can't stand Irish and Canadian but don't let that deter you. Feel free to share your whiskey of choice. As I write this intro I have a dram of the only blended Scotch I will drink in front of me. Johnny Walker Black. It's one thing Winston Churchill and Christopher Hitchens got right. Vanilla and Peat with a velvet mouthfeel. Truly a great.

Not that it's my favorite Scotch. That honor belongs to Bowmore 15 year. Peat is the hallmark of Islay and only Bowmore has Islay peat casked in sherry barrels. Bruichladdich's many great varieties are a close second.

Not that I hold America lower. Taste an Elija Craig 12 year and you can tell me anything. I taste blueberry pie in it. And I'll never turn down a Wild Turkey with its honey/kiwi flavor. And of course I have some fondness for the burnt maple syrup that only Jack Daniels could offer. It remains a staple with my parents. And I love the minty oilyness of Jim Beam Black.

So what say you, imbibers? Any favorites worth hunting out? I'd love to expand my palate.

outoforder2day:
I'm by no means an expert, but my current top shelf choice is Glenlivet Archive 21. Rich and smooth. I try to get a bottle once in a while to celebrate special occasions with, but at $200+ it's not doable often. My last bottle was a gift from a whole team at my last job when I left. I miss those guys...

Others that I really enjoy, in no particular order, are:
Tullamore Dew (probably more due to good memories, but hey.)
Glenmorangie 18
Green Spot (really a surprise here: affordable and excellent.)
Johnny Walker Blue (another pricey one, but it's good stuff. Worth trying a bar for the experience but I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a bottle anymore.)
Eagle Rare (Yeah, it's a bourbon... So?  ;D )

I'm not a fan of smoke in my drinks, so I prefer little to no peat. I just never developed the taste for it... at least not yet. I do try them when I get a chance.

Recently I've been on a gin kick, though. Not sure if I should throw those in here or start a new thread for that.

David in MN:
I've had the Glenmorangie 18. Impressive stuff. Legend has that they hired a French perfume expert to describe the aroma.

Johnny Blue... Been there, still prefer the black. It really is a preference for peat and smoke, isn't it. The Blue is so light and clean with very low phenols it (to me) is almost apricot with other fruit on the palate.

Thanks for the Green Spot call. I'll look that one up.

Eagle Rare... Yup, it is good. It's like textured caramel on the tongue.

Rock on with gin. I love it too.

mountainmoma:
My kids like Maker's Mark

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: outoforder2day on September 13, 2017, 07:49:21 PM ---Tullamore Dew (probably more due to good memories, but hey.)

--- End quote ---
Ugh, this stuff can really sneak up on you.  I got a bottle about a year ago and it was so smooth, that I woke up out on the couch.  I don't remember a lot.

--- Quote from: outoforder2day on September 13, 2017, 07:49:21 PM ---Johnny Walker Blue (another pricey one, but it's good stuff. Worth trying a bar for the experience but I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a bottle anymore.)

--- End quote ---

Hopefully this picture comes through.

My father in law had this in his office.  We just cleaned the office out and my mother in law told me to take it.

That would be $3000 retail price.  There were a bunch of other stuff there as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version