Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Dave does applejack math

(1/2) > >>

David in MN:
OK, so this is all hypothetical because jacking cider is illegal even though it's about as dangerous as putting ice in vodka and sipping it.

As I was walking with my daughter yesterday I noticed all the apple trees in my area. Many. Got me thinking. I know one neighbor with a tree who lets them freeze and I know my brother and sister in law have more than they can harvest as well. So I reason I can get a few bushels of apples this fall.

That's great and I plan on making a batch of cider but here's the rub: that's more cider than I can realistically drink in a year (I rarely break 3 batches). So what would I do to preserve them? I immediately considered the jacking process (freeze the cider and remove ice chips to make a liquor).

Obviously I'd never do such a thing as it is illegal and getting jack to 60 proof requires freezing to roughly -20f which as we all know is impossible as it's colder than commercial freezers and outdoor temperatures never get that cold, especially in Minnesota.  ;)

So I did some math and figured that my usual 5 gallon 8-ish percent cider frozen out to 60 proof yields 1.33 gallons or just over 5 liters of finished jack. I realize I'll lose some due to imperfect processing but just think... 5 liters of quality local liquor for the cost of some sugar, a packet of yeast, and a day of work picking and pressing apples?

Now the wheels start spinning and I'm imagining running this operation like a pro. Oak chip aging, building my own cider press, and how to best filter ice. It's a really cool thought experiment I'd obviously never do.

Morning Sunshine:
saw these at a reenactment last week.  Looks cool.  http://www.happyvalleyranch.com/  obviously for legal purposes only...

Smurf Hunter:
The rounded math has a 5 gallon batch of beer yielding 50 bottles.  Call it a bottle a week for a year.
I'm not a Puritan, and will probably consume 3-5 times that unless I was actively training for some athletic event (it has been years).

While I encourage your R&D pursuits, given the winter holiday parties and other opportunities for sharing your brew (and cider) I wouldn't consider 3 batches of cider to be a supply surplus crisis ;)

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on July 20, 2016, 04:20:07 PM ---The rounded math has a 5 gallon batch of beer yielding 50 bottles.  Call it a bottle a week for a year.
I'm not a Puritan, and will probably consume 3-5 times that unless I was actively training for some athletic event (it has been years).

While I encourage your R&D pursuits, given the winter holiday parties and other opportunities for sharing your brew (and cider) I wouldn't consider 3 batches of cider to be a supply surplus crisis ;)

--- End quote ---

Yeah but I just use cider to fill the keg between batches of beer which I prefer. It's not that I dislike cider, it's just that if I have bushels of apples I need to do something. I rarely bottle anything outside of mead.

I guess I could do some crazy high grav apple wine experiments but... Get my drift?

Jack solves the problem of having all those apples sitting around by converting them into a few bottles. Makes sense why our ancestors did it.

nkawtg:
There's a reason it's illegal you know...
They called it “apple palsy” because this process does not remove methanol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version