Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

I found a dimple in the sidewall of my front tire -- dangerous? (video attached)

(1/3) > >>

Oil Lady:
It's a small depression in the sidewall. I only saw it just now because the sun was setting and the lighting on the tire looked odd on one spot of the tire's curve. I ran my hand over it and it's a dimple or depression about the size of a quarter dollar, and not really very deep, but still there.

I googled the exact phrase "dimple in sidewall of tire" and found different opinions. Here's what my google-fu came up with:

-- BUBBLE or PIMPLES in sidewalls, which are bumps sticking OUTWARD, are super dangerous and such a tire needs replacing immediately.

-- DIMPLES or DEPRESSIONS in sidewalls, which are bumps sticking INWARD, are merely cosmetic and pose no real threat.

My tire flaw seems to be a DIMPLE and it sticks INWARD.

Thoughts??

--OL

Here's a 24-second video that I shot just now to show you the actual tire on my car as of 10 minutes ago:

http://vid1289.photobucket.com/albums/b502/plot_lady/video-2015-05-11-17-34-12_zps9ummw3ef.mp4

endurance:
Probably not a big deal.  If you're worried about it, you might want to go back to where you bought the tires and ask if it might be warrantied.  Most tires are warrantied against defect, just not damage.

Oil Lady:

--- Quote from: Endurance on May 11, 2015, 04:05:00 PM ---Probably not a big deal.  If you're worried about it, you might want to go back to where you bought the tires and ask if it might be warrantied.  Most tires are warrantied against defect, just not damage.

--- End quote ---

Good idea! :)

They came from Town Fair Tire. And he made sure they came with a warranty.

These tires were bought for me by the dude who sold me the car last year. The day I bought the car, he bought for me/installed for me new brakes and new tires. These are actually my snow tires which he tossed into the trunk for me brand new, and which I eventually got installed in January. (The all-season tires are in the trunk right now.) So I am actually due for a tire rotation now that winter is (finally!) over.

raginrick:
Dimples are not a problem, don't let a tire salesman scare you. I have seen brand new tires have them due to the way they were stacked. If it is protruding out it is a problem but pressed in is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Oil Lady:
Thanks guys! :)

One more question: I noticed the TINIEST of vibrations in the steering wheel as of a few days ago.

Could THIS be that vibration?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version