Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Dandelion Wine

<< < (2/2)

AvenueQ:
I just made a batch of Dandelion champagne and one thing I noticed was the bubbles had a hard time escaping through the mat of flowers on top. I could hear it when I listened closely, but I couldn't see it.

It turned out great! It's even better with a little bit of concentrated black tea, takes off a bit of the sweetness.

Countryguy:
With the season of the yellow lawn ornament soon upon us and with what I expect to be a bumper crop of Dandelions I want to try to do a wine. I've seen a lot of varied recipes and tips or tricks but no follow ups to say "hey, it came out great" or "man this sucks and tastes like gym socks" (to hijack Jack's phrase).

Most all seem to agree to only use the flower petals to keep it from being bitter. Question is, any recipes you all have you like? Most seem to use some amount of 1 or both of oranges and lemons and then sugar of some amount but I saw some talk about using raisins too. The amounts of flower, water, sugar etc seem all over the place. I saw some say pour hot water over the petals and let it set to steep for 48hrs and then strain off the tea, add sugar and fruit and then pitch the yeast. Most seem to use bread yeast but I'm thinking I can do better with maybe Jack's yeast blend.
I'd like to do up about a 5 gal batch. I'm thinking if I make 5 gal of the "tea" I could then try 1 gal batches of a couple different recipes or varied amounts.

so love to hear any thoughts, recipes or tips.

fritz_monroe:
Any time I look for a wine recipe, I always go to Jack Keller's site.  He is THE name in home wine making.

Jack Keller's Dandelion Wine

Carver:
I wonder if anybody has made an implement to harvest dandelion blossoms, like a stick tool to pluck them so you didn't have to lean over or crawl on your belly.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Carver on June 09, 2020, 09:33:02 PM ---I wonder if anybody has made an implement to harvest dandelion blossoms, like a stick tool to pluck them so you didn't have to lean over or crawl on your belly.

--- End quote ---

My grandparents had an oddly shaped rake that looked like a saw that caught the heads. I Googled but didn't find one and only found some homebrew message boards dreaming of such a "comb". Not surprising, I think theirs was from the 1800s. Might have been homemade. You still had to pick out the clover and whatnot and separate the green but that could be done on a table.

So the short answer is yes, such a thing has been devised. But good luck finding one today. I know there are people who do it today but my grandparents always talked of dandelion wine as a prohibition thing. When they were young dandelions were everywhere and sugar has always been cheap so... There might not be enough modern demand for production.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version