Author Topic: The official 'post pics of your BOV thread'  (Read 218745 times)

Offline lukeaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: The official 'post pics of your BOV thread'
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »

Offline Joseph Seal

• Prepper
« Reply #271 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
Well, without getting into detail of the BOV related preps of the vehicle, I will mention it's a 4x4 diesel with a fuel tank range of 1400 miles, only requires oil changes every 100,000 miles, has road armor front and rear bumpers, a winch, and a slew of other goodies & preps.  Here's one pic I snapped while we were loading up a bloat the other day.  The triailer's there, trust me....  lol

Patriot_RAM

100k oil change? Please explain

Offline Jaenus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
Good work guys, keep it up.  Hope to eventually pick up an all-fuel deuce and a half.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »

I like the old school Ramsey winch up front. Probably made the same year your XJ is.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
1998 Land Rover Discovery with an Adventure Trailer "Chaser" model. We own an heirloom seed business and actually use this setup to visit some of our growers and find new varieties of seed to offer, so we have named the trailer the "Heirloom Seed Chaser". This is our preferred mode of travel. The trailer has a long travel air suspension mounted on a sealed 6 foot box, a 12v Engel fridge that will go to 0F, and enough propane to cook and heat water for 2 weeks. The trailer carries 19 gallons of water and 10 gallons of fuel, along with a 205ah battery in the nose box. The tent is South African and is larger than a king sized bed. We have another fridge in the Disco, along with some other preps...

Nice setup!

Offline fishman1113

• Prepper
« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
Here is mine.

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

Offline November Foxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »
<<>>
<<>>

I have since repainted the canoe OD green and added different seats. Next step will be a watertight battery pack and inverter system for power and watertight / secured compartments etc.

The Xterra has a CB, inverters etc as well and I am working on making a slid-in / bolt-in wooden box to turn a 5x7 wire deck trailer into a enclosed/box trailer.

Offline Reconnoiter

• Prepper
  • Those who say don't know. Those who know don't say
    • All-in-One-Truck
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Clean...

Dirty....

Offline Witness

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Expatriate Patriot
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
Wish I could post some cool pics of my everyday driver/BOV but it's a stock 2000 Expedition, so you can imagine it. I'm hoping to get some work done on it soon to make it a little more bug-out ready. However I like the idea of a TSP decal that would be subtle but ID fellow ants in a hurry on the road. Being a previous LEO like several on this forum I have a "thin blue line" sticker on my vehicles still. I would go for a TSP/prepper decal that would be simple and fairly inconspicuous to most but a little heads up to those of us in the know. Maybe a black decal with a plain white Ant like the TSP logo or something simple like that.

Offline Hooligan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »

Not really a BOV...

Next vehicle purchase will be a 96-98 silverado

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #281 on: November 03, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »
Here's my super kickass bov. Note the homemade rack bag rigged from an old WWII pack. That pack will hold ammo and extra food. I have another pack that latches to my backpack via ALICE clips that holds essentials, a camp stove, water filter, and compact high calorie food. Extra water bottles can be strapped to those packs. Less essential tools and supplies go in the rack bag on top of the rack.
http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=10640666983
Also, sorry for my basic inability to post any pictures here in a remotely competent way, all I have to work with here is an old iPhone that has never seen a software upgrade in its life.

Offline greaser

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
With M'lady at the wheel.   ;D

And the grease burner...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:18:53 PM by greaser »

Offline greaser

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
One more of the FJ

nelson96

« Reply #284 on: January 02, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
My brother just bought a 2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS to add to our off road toys.  :egyptian:

Engine = Liquid Cooled 4-Stroke, 999cc, 107 hp
Ground Clearance = 13.5"
Front Travel = 16"
Rear Travel = 18"

Offline PalmettoPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Palmetto Prepper
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
I have two a 2007 xTerra and this 2007 Vstrom

I will try and get my xTerra photo up soon ... my son wrecked his car and is using it.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
2012 GMC canyon 4x4, note the biohazard fog lights,

hooked to my 1961 Shasta camper I am remodeling

nelson96

« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
Very cool trailer excaliber.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
work van & or the casita
couldn't get picture here
86 gmc made to be a camper

Offline Sentinelist

• Prepper
  • All along the watchtower...
« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2014, 01:14:57 AM »
Here's our primary BOV/FEV, built indeed for when times get tough (EMP resistant) or even if they don't (my wife has discovered the 'glamping' movement online and is about to remodel the camper's interior).

It's a 1993 Chevy Silverado K3500 one-ton 4x4 quad-cab long-bed with the legendary 6.5L turbo diesel (as seen in the HMMWV) and features mechanical fuel injection for CME/EMP resistance and ease of maintaining. It has 280k miles but runs like a champ. Diesel capacity is 30 gal. and I'm working on getting the 10 gal. aux. tank from a Suburban to expand that- I have 4x Sta-Bil'd 5-gal. NATO jerry cans as well ready to go. Out back is a 2001 Lance 815 fully self-contained camper with mods. I've added 200W of solar on the roof feeding a dual-Optima marine battery bank with a Cobra 1500w inverter. I just finished rewiring the whole thing to run off the battery bank for AC instead of the factory power converter, so no need for RV hookups. To save space on top, I decided against a rooftop AC and installed a portable 8k BTU floor standing unit that tucks away in the galley and works great. All appliances run off the battery bank, and the fridge can also run off DC (separate battery bank charged by the truck, solar coming soon) or propane (as does the stove). There's nothing like waking up in the middle of nowhere and brewing a cup of coffee silently without a generator! Or so I think, we haven't even used the thing yet- I got the truck last November and the camper two days after Christmas! The truck came locally on AutoTrader. I bought the latter in Denver and drove there to get it one wknd. from the DFW area, so that's the only adventure it's been on so far. State parks coming this fall, hopefully getting more adventuresome next year- we have two young boys around the toddler phase so some careful planning is needed. But anyway, I love the thing and am constantly working on improving it. This is my first truck, and I'm quickly becoming a 'truck guy'.

Here's my build thread on Expedition Portal: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120614-The-TerraShuttle-build-a-1993-Chevrolet-K3500-6-5L-turbo-diesel-4x4-quad-cab-TC-rig?p=1492474#post1492474

Offline marasch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Diesel Maniac
    • The Art of Diesel
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »
Here's my 1999 Suburban.  Some coworkers call it the Zombie Apocalypse Command Center, but it looks very normal/boring.  It's anything but, though!

It has a mechanically  Isuzu 4BD1T 3.9 liter turbodiesel coupled to an NV4500 5-speed manual transmission, giving it a drivetrain requiring no electronics to function -- meaning that it would be driveable after an EMP event (though that's unlikely).

It gets 26 mpg at highway speeds.  Not bad for a big, heavy brick, right?  With a 40-gallon fuel tank, it has a range of 1,000+ miles.

In order to live up to the Command Center name, it also has a dual-band (2m & 70cm) 50-watt ham radio.  It can be set up as a repeater, so that I can walk around with a low-wattage handheld and it would extend my range.

I wrote a book on it called The Art of Dieselhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMUUOAM.  If anybody is interested, I can arrange a free e-book weekend.  Let me know!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
Marasch,  cool truck.  I like it. What are you running as an antenna for the ham radio?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »
Very good stealth with this truck, Marasch.  Thanks for the free book offer, but this looks so cool that you've just made another kindle sale.  Going to give it a look through, find ideas I can use.

Marasch,  cool truck.  I like it. What are you running as an antenna for the ham radio?
Yes, what kind?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline marasch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Diesel Maniac
    • The Art of Diesel
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
Chemsoldier,

Unfortunately, the photo I used of the front of the truck was taken before I installed the radio and antenna.  I installed it on the driver's side, opposite the stock antenna.  It's a folding Diamond dual-band.  I'm pretty sure it's the NR770HB (the black version).  I'm not sure where I bought it, but here's a link to one place selling it: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/diamond-nr770hb-4851.html  With the combination of 50W and this antenna, I've reached out on the highway and had discussions with people via repeaters 50+ miles away while driving cross-country.

Alan,

Thanks for the compliment.  I tried to keep it very clean and stock-looking.  One of the few giveaways is the hole I cut in the middle of the front bumper for the intercooler.

Please let me know what you think of the book!

Mark
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:52:30 PM by marasch »

Offline Cracker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2014, 06:03:53 AM »
83 Toyota Land Cruiser. 40 gallon veggie tank, 18 gallon diesel tank. 4BD2T 4 cyl turbo diesel, NV4500 manual trans. All mechanical. It will start (push), run, drive and shut off without a battery in the vehicle. Heated fuel system for running higher viscosity fluids like veggie oil, trans fluid or used motor oil.  Primarily run it on veggie though.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
that is some vehicle....Old time Toyota AND diesel AND vegeterian option....
congrats!

Offline marasch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Diesel Maniac
    • The Art of Diesel
« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Cool!  Another Isuzu 4BD.  Plus veggie/whatever oil.  I've got to do that on my Suburban at some point.

What transmission are you using, Cracker?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #297 on: October 08, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »
What transmission are you using, Cracker?
He posted he had a nv4500 in it.

Offline marasch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Diesel Maniac
    • The Art of Diesel
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
There it is, plain as day.  Thanks!

Offline Mike_Flys

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
    • Just about me
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
My brother and I have had an on going debate about reaching a bug out location. In the valley where we are at there only only a couple roads to get in and out, even off road would be tough. I think its a real possibility they will become backed up and blocked.
As a pilot I look at an airplane as a great alternative.

Not sure if I should go with the take off and land almost anywhere bush plane Savage Cub or the fold up and stuff in a trailer Quicksilver S2

Savage Cub Take off in 60 feet, land in 150 feet

Quicksilver S2 Take off and land in just over 200 feet. can be packed or unpacked in a trailer in about 30 minutes
My wife likes to point out you can't carry much in the S2. However it would be easy to bring a backpack in it.

Legally both planes carry a similar weight, however in a SHTF scenario the Savage Cub would hold more, especially with its 180hp engine.

Any thoughts?
Any other pilots?

Mike