Author Topic: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts  (Read 39414 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 07:37:56 AM »
We need the prepper 12 days of Christmas..   :happydance:

Twelve survival manuals
Eleven seed  banks
Ten Mylar bags
NINE COMPASSES
Eight pocket knives
Seven para-cord bracelets
Six two way radios

FIVE MRE's
 Four space blankets
  Three fire starters
   Two bug out bags
    .And a cartridge filter for a Ber-key..

Just when I got started a nurse needs me ...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:47:37 AM by Carl »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
Pretty tough to beat an oil lamp as a prepper gift.  They come in so many shapes and sizes.  And even if I already have 6 of them, one more can't hurt.

I still have 15+ gallons of kerosene that I got along with a portable heater at a yard sale.  I need a couple more oil lamps.
Thinking a basic lantern like this might be good to keep handy:

http://www.amazon.com/Lamplight-52664-Farmers-Lantern-Black/dp/B000MKOWRU/ref=pd_sim_lg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=11PZ1C1VFHRCEAT7VDC3

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
I still have 15+ gallons of kerosene that I got along with a portable heater at a yard sale.  I need a couple more oil lamps.
Thinking a basic lantern like this might be good to keep handy:

http://www.amazon.com/Lamplight-52664-Farmers-Lantern-Black/dp/B000MKOWRU/ref=pd_sim_lg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=11PZ1C1VFHRCEAT7VDC3

Many hardware and 'big box' stores sell a glass bottom lamp the is under $10...the thin metal lamps are often poor quality and can LEAK oil slowly to table and table cloth...though glass can be broken if dropped.I understand oil for HEAT but I do not like it for heat as LED lights are safe for all ages and easy to recharge from solar/auto/wall current.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
I have yet to break a glass oil lamp. but I have broken two chimneys over the years. And 'loose' chimneys are difficult to buy anymore, without the base it seems at the local stores, even someplace like Ace. I like a very large, wide based oil lamp. So less difficult to have them turn over.

Cedar

Offline Sinzitu

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:27 AM »
I picked up a few power failure/night lights as stocking stuffers for friends and family. 

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »
Everybody in the family has gotten a Benchmade Houdini for the car.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/30200

I also put hand warmers in cards for everybody. They can be a real comfort.

I have a life hammer and Resqu-Me glass breaker / seat belt cutters, but the integration of an LED light into the unit is a really nice addition to the Benchmade.  Thanks for that.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 08:50:40 AM »
I have a life hammer and Resqu-Me glass breaker / seat belt cutters, but the integration of an LED light into the unit is a really nice addition to the Benchmade.  Thanks for that.

I took a look.  5 lumins isn't all that bright.

14 lumins for a mini-maglight with new batteries, which already isn't much light, and you'll get about a third of that.

I suppose it's better to have the light than not, but to double the length of the Resqme, which can be tucked onto the sun-visor with a clip... I don't think I'd go for that tradeoff for about 4x the price, when I'm not sure I could actually use the light for anything.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:06:02 AM by Josh the Aspie »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 08:58:40 AM »
I took a look.  5 lumins isn't all that bright.

I don't think it is designed to be a source of light for anything other than the employment of the device.  It is designed to have some light in an upside down vehicle to figure out where to hit/cut.  I was thinking about situations where perhaps I cannot get to a separate light or I have gotten my bell rung and don't have the acuity to look for the squeezy light on my key chain or the tactical light in my pocket.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
Hmmm.  Alright, I see your point, But then how are you storing the device so that it's as accessible as the ResQMe is?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Hmmm.  Alright, I see your point, But then how are you storing the device so that it's as accessible as the ResQMe is?
I have some rolls of industrial Velcro (Hook and Pile tape for all you military types!), Hook tab on my console, pile tab on the body of the device?  For that matter it should still fit under the visor using the Velcro to keep it in place.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
I was considering doing something similar with the life-hammer

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
I was looking into some of these tools, and Amazon showed me the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UL5RUI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i7]Swiss+Tech ST81010 BodyGard under related products.

Here's a reference to the manufacturer's page: Swiss+Tech ST81010

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
My "Prepping" gifts for my family this year won't be gear related but hopefully well received. My gifts will be as follows:

1/ My children will receive swimming lessons (in the southern hemisphere this makes more sense at this time of year) and their first camping experience of sleeping under the stars.

2/ My wife will receive a 3 day mini vacation (kids free) in the city to indulge a little whilst I spend some quality dad time with the children.

I think everyone will be happy...

endurance

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
Two devices for underwater escape for a guy that doesn't live within 1000 miles of a body of water deep enough to drown in. ;D  Overkill much? ;)

nelson96

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »
My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are extreme mountain bikers and motorcycle riders, every weekend. . . .  I bought them a very nice first aid kid, that's adequate for a trained first responder (in case one is availalble in their camp).

endurance

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
My oldest daughter and her boyfriend are extreme mountain bikers and motorcycle riders, every weekend. . . .  I bought them a very nice first aid kid, that's adequate for a trained first responder (in case one is availalble in their camp).
When I was riding 6k miles a year I found a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a instant ice pack and an ace bandage were routine needs back at the trailhead for me or one of my group.  None of which are worth having on the trail, but all are nice before the drive home.  (as was an extra large towel to protect the seats after a particularly muddy ride from time to time)  Trail kits are great, too.

nelson96

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
When I was riding 6k miles a year I found a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a instant ice pack and an ace bandage were routine needs back at the trailhead for me or one of my group.  None of which are worth having on the trail, but all are nice before the drive home.  (as was an extra large towel to protect the seats after a particularly muddy ride from time to time)  Trail kits are great, too.

I wanted to provide more than the obvious needs (which they've alread got covered), for the sake of having it in the rare time they would.  They are less likely to purchase a "first responder" kit for themselves for the reasons that they probably wouldn't need one. . . .  Making it a great "gift", especially if they or a friend ever needs use of it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Two devices for underwater escape for a guy that doesn't live within 1000 miles of a body of water deep enough to drown in. ;D  Overkill much? ;)
it started when we lived elsewhere. Besides you never know, I might accidentally drive into a swimming pool or something.  :D

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
My "Prepping" gifts for my family this year won't be gear related but hopefully well received. My gifts will be as follows:

1/ My children will receive swimming lessons (in the southern hemisphere this makes more sense at this time of year) and their first camping experience of sleeping under the stars.

2/ My wife will receive a 3 day mini vacation (kids free) in the city to indulge a little whilst I spend some quality dad time with the children.

I think everyone will be happy...
both sound like great gifts.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »
it started when we lived elsewhere. Besides you never know, I might accidentally drive into a swimming pool or something.  :D

Or have a crash that results in a chemical spill or a fire, that also leaves the belts or doors inoperative, or one that shoves you onto train tracks or...

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
if you really feel you need to help others,(dollar Tree) has many neat small items like small first aid kits, Manicure sets ,stuff like that might be nice, women's needs, just a great Prepping store I think.
keeb,

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »
We have a tradition up here called a Yankee Swap.  I wound up getting ammo as gifts at 2 of these events.  My women's shooting group had all sorts of good prepper gifts at our Yankee Swap.  Targets, multi tool flashlight combo, ammo, lockable storage cases, gun cases, range bags, and a lump of real coal. 

I also made a cute seeds starting kit out of organic seeds packets, watering can, seed starting tray and I used a cute planter as the basket. I picked up all the components on clearance in the fall and it was a huge hit.  This only works well when you know there are people looking to get into or expand their garden. 

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:19 PM »
Going to get our parents practical stuff this year of organic food items that they don't normally buy (because they think it's too expensive).

Offline Sam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 06:11:21 AM »
Gifts that I am getting/giving for the family this year are:

1)  3500W generator
2)  2 gas cans
3)  1 kerosene can
4)  Saw a deal on mountain house at amazon and got a bucket of that.
5)  Saw a deal on a kershaw pocket knife and picked that up.
6)  I was walking through Wal-Mart and grabbed a couple more cans of canned beef stew.

Seemed as appropriate as jewelry, right?  Ha, might be a hard sell to the wife so I got her some earrings as well...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
Gifts that I am getting/giving for the family this year are:

1)  3500W generator
2)  2 gas cans
3)  1 kerosene can
4)  Saw a deal on mountain house at amazon and got a bucket of that.
5)  Saw a deal on a kershaw pocket knife and picked that up.
6)  I was walking through Wal-Mart and grabbed a couple more cans of canned beef stew.

Seemed as appropriate as jewelry, right?  Ha, might be a hard sell to the wife so I got her some earrings as well...

Practical goes out the window when it comes to gifts for most femaliens.
But we do it for the survival of mankind.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
I stumbled onto this website from Adam Savage's podcast. I've already ordered several of the suggested tools. The book sounds great as well.

http://kk.org/cooltools/

Might be a good resource.

endurance

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
I stumbled onto this website from Adam Savage's podcast. I've already ordered several of the suggested tools. The book sounds great as well.

http://kk.org/cooltools/

Might be a good resource.

Wow!  I just found their "what's in my bag" thread and it's amazing.  Thanks for the post and the mighty fine bunny trails you just sent me down. ;)

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/tag/whats-in-my-bag

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
Ghost of Christmases past "prepper presents" for loved ones (family and friends):

copies of the 2012 printed LDS Preparedness manual
several months of long term food storage
Big Berkey
Water BOBs
flashlights
accessories for firearms (magazines, ammo, lights, etc...)
electronic solar back-up charger/batteries
portable filtering H2O bottles
Maxpedition packs with IFAKs
greenhouse
car emergency kits

This Christmas I've tamed down prepping gifts as most of those for whom I care have already been given a start and must learn to prep. for themselves. However, for their children/young adults:

bullet blocker backpacks/tablet covers
Leatherman multi-tools (college age appropriate)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
Write in rain tablets have gone over big for me in the past.