Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

Holding China's Feet to the Fire

(1/5) > >>

David in MN:
As we move through this contagion there needs to be a lasting change. China has been the source of pretty much every modern plague and they finally got the one that stuck.

We live in an integrated society where one can, in 24 hours, be global. A disease vector in Wuhan can demolish Italy. Unless you're a democrat running for president you don't remember the days of taking weeks to traverse a state in a Conestoga wagon while Timmy suffered the consumption.

The hard truth is that most of us will come out the other side unscathed. But then there's this lurking variable... The Chinese didn't act with good faith on the global scale. By that I don't mean people who are ethnically Chinese but the Chinese government. It's worth stating that in their best case scenario they denied the existence of Covid and then jailed doctors who spoke of it and told the WHO it wasn't communicable. All lies.

Do you think "made in China" will be popular in Italy or Iran? How about every global engineering or business student sent home from university? You think a global shutdown won't rankle their heads for a while when it comes to international business?

The Chinese government really hurt their brand. I'll be curious how businesses realign and find new ways to not be subject to the bad faith actor Beijing has proven itself to be. I know people in industry already having these conversations.

Chemsoldier:
I think the Chinese brand is being hurt badly.  They wont see it till things are running again.

That being said, they own a lot of our debt. I assume there is risk in taking actions without the fig leaf of consumer choices such as sending chinese students home...considering the number of students who choose to stay in the US permanently or go home with more americanized ideas than they had before studying here, i dont know if it would be an aggregate win anyway.

Chemsoldier:
I for one support a #buynotchina campaign of some sort.

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 22, 2020, 11:59:49 AM ---I for one support a #buynotchina campaign of some sort.

--- End quote ---

Yep.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 22, 2020, 11:59:49 AM ---I for one support a #buynotchina campaign of some sort.

--- End quote ---

hard to do.  But in a lot of ways I try already.  Anything I want to last longer than a year, I look to see if I can find it made in the US: on Etsy or in my community - furniture, appliances, clothes, etc.
actually.... I bet our school supplies are mostly China - pencils, markers, erasers, etc.

It is our electronics that will be hard.  Are you willing to give up your phones, computers, devices, etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version