Energy Options > Solar Power

the UPS from Heck: a solar project that didn't quite gel

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carl:

--- Quote from: chad on May 15, 2017, 09:09:57 AM ---Good stuff Alan, got me thinking.

I've been charging my iPhone off my solar bank like this;

Solar bank(12 vdc) + PSW inverter(120 vac) + iPhone charger(120 vac step down to 5 vdc)
I'm wondering if at this step ................................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dose it "clean the power" as to not harm the iPhone?

If there's even a chance it'll harm the iPhone I'll charge we grid power.

--- End quote ---

Pure Sine Wave should do fine as the battery is a good filter. It is the 'electronic' ,non transformer ,chargers that have big problems with the 'spikes' of Modified Sine Wave inverters and can often let the smoke out. I often use auto chargers directly from 12 volts of the solar setup I have for the smaller devices as the low population chargers often have problems and failure .

chad:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 15, 2017, 01:13:39 PM ---Pure Sine Wave should do fine as the battery is a good filter. It is the 'electronic' ,non transformer ,chargers that have big problems with the 'spikes' of Modified Sine Wave inverters and can often let the smoke out. I often use auto chargers directly from 12 volts of the solar setup I have for the smaller devices as the low population chargers often have problems and failure .

--- End quote ---

Good to know.

I'm thinking if any damage is done by the PSW inverter it'll be at the iPhone charger( 120 vac to 5 vdc)

Carl:

--- Quote from: chad on May 15, 2017, 01:38:34 PM ---
Good to know.

I'm thinking if any damage is done by the PSW inverter it'll be at the iPhone charger( 120 vac to 5 vdc)

--- End quote ---

Possible,but not likely.

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Fixit on May 15, 2017, 09:17:32 AM ---Ok ,I have to ask . Why are you going DC-AC-DC to power a laptop? Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-HP-Envy-Pavilion-Touchsmart-Sleekbook-Pavilion-EliteBook/dp/B00HUE5O82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494861213&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+laptop+charger

would do away with so much of your post.

--- End quote ---
No, this was for my desktop machine.  Why would anyone want a UPS for a laptop?

I do additionally have a laptop however, and it uses maybe 1/3 the power of the desktop.  It charges fine off a little MSW Foval inverter.   The laptop's wall wart plays fine with the MSW, no buzzing, heating, etc.  In the end, this (and cell phone wi-fi hotspot) will be my go-to to get on the net in the event of an extended power outage.  Sorry if that wasn't clear in the first post.

BTW Chad, I charge my iPhone off my solar system too, but I run it through a 12v->USB converter and plug the phone's cord into that.  Ditto for charing the Kindle tablet.  As Carl said, probably no harm doing it the way you're doing it though.

chad:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on May 15, 2017, 04:54:21 PM ---No, this was for my desktop machine.  Why would anyone want a UPS for a laptop?

I do additionally have a laptop however, and it uses maybe 1/3 the power of the desktop.  It charges fine off a little MSW Foval inverter.   The laptop's wall wart plays fine with the MSW, no buzzing, heating, etc.  In the end, this (and cell phone wi-fi hotspot) will be my go-to to get on the net in the event of an extended power outage.  Sorry if that wasn't clear in the first post.

BTW Chad, I charge my iPhone off my solar system too, but I run it through a 12v->USB converter and plug the phone's cord into that.  Ditto for charing the Kindle tablet.  As Carl said, probably no harm doing it the way you're doing it though.

--- End quote ---

Good to know, I feel better now that my setup is ok.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version