Energy Options > Solar Power

Solar Power Off Grid Near Seattle..

<< < (2/5) > >>

whatmecrazy:
Thanks Alan, and Cedar, the island is in the South Sound and it will be a primary residence, and I want it to be off-grid....  But sizing the solar array for winter is my concern...

Cedar:

--- Quote from: whatmecrazy on August 22, 2016, 07:33:58 PM ---Thanks Alan, and Cedar, the island is in the South Sound and it will be a primary residence, and I want it to be off-grid....  But sizing the solar array for winter is my concern...

--- End quote ---

I am still looking, trying to get my kid into bed, and you WILL need a backup gas generator.

Cedar

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: whatmecrazy on August 22, 2016, 07:33:58 PM ---Thanks Alan, and Cedar, the island is in the South Sound and it will be a primary residence, and I want it to be off-grid....  But sizing the solar array for winter is my concern...

--- End quote ---
The rule of thumb for starter numbers is to work out how many amp-hours you'll be using every day, then multiply by something between 4 and 8 to get the total battery size needed.  The wattage of the panels you'll need works out to be roughly equal to the battery bank's total amp-hours.  After that, Cedar is right, a backup gas generator is your friend when the chips are down.

whatmecrazy:
I know about the Genny, and have zero problems with knowing how to rebuild and maintain any combustion engine..  The goal is to be done with the grid completely...  I am so damn sick of the BS...  Still going to be connected into the community and building the farm, just like before..  But, I have had enough....

whatmecrazy:
The amp-hours are the easiest to calculate, it's the 9 months of no sun that is throwing off my calculations..  Because I made them in Colorado....  Where there is an abundance....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version