Energy Options > Solar Power

Elon Musk, Solar, Home Batteries

<< < (2/25) > >>

lhcbinpa:
This and other advances in the technology (real and rumored) are why I haven't jumped into solar as a backup. Panels are rumored to have similar leaps on the near term calendar. Watching, waiting, investigating.... fingers crossed that the new stuff won't be too exorbitantly priced.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: lhcbinpa on February 16, 2015, 07:17:47 AM ---This and other advances in the technology (real and rumored) are why I haven't jumped into solar as a backup. Panels are rumored to have similar leaps on the near term calendar. Watching, waiting, investigating.... fingers crossed that the new stuff won't be too exorbitantly priced.

--- End quote ---
And I believe that this is why solar is a LONG way from having buy in for the majority of households.  Take a look at any article about solar and the industry is ALWAYS just on the brink of a huge breakthrough.

I have the same view, there seems to be something big coming so I should wait a bit.

Personally, I think that's the way TPTB want the general public to act.  But I won't go there since I'd rather not spin this into the TFHB territory.

Bonnieblue2A:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on February 16, 2015, 04:03:51 PM ---And I believe that this is why solar is a LONG way from having buy in for the majority of households.  Take a look at any article about solar and the industry is ALWAYS just on the brink of a huge breakthrough.

I have the same view, there seems to be something big coming so I should wait a bit.

Personally, I think that's the way TPTB want the general public to act.  But I won't go there since I'd rather not spin this into the TFHB territory.

--- End quote ---

This.   I've been waiting for the next big leap with PVC panels and battery storage technology x 7 yrs. and waiting for it to make that leap.  It hasn't happened........yet.

What I've read of Musk, I respect.  I think he has the vision but will the low oil prices destroy him before he has the opportunity to reach the realization?

Think what President Hoover did to the small car manufacturers like Tucker and how we actually ended up with "the big three" US car manufacturers.   Musk is a doer who is breaking the rules.  Hopefully he will accomplish much before TPTB manage to destroy him.

nkawtg:
Musk has some hurdles to overcome other than technical. For example here in Las Vegas you are not permitted to have a battery backup with your grid tie system.

Bonnieblue2A:
Musk does have some hurdles to overcome.   Tesla and Solar City are hemorrhaging money.  Solar City stock is down over 31% this year. Tesla down over 17%.   This is going to hurt the cash for battery research and ever lowering oil prices are going to harm demand for the battery technology.

Solar City just made this announcement with DirectTV to offer affordable solar to its customers:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102495716

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version