Energy Options > Solar Power

Elon Musk, Solar, Home Batteries

<< < (3/25) > >>

nkawtg:
"Under the new service relationship, DIRECTV technicians visiting customers' homes will be able to offer those homeowners the opportunity to use solar electricity from SolarCity".
That makes for happy technicians I'm sure.

jerseyboy:

--- Quote from: bob3 on February 14, 2015, 06:53:14 PM ---Niiiiiice...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/13/8033691/why-teslas-battery-for-your-home-should-terrify-utilities

--- End quote ---

OK, so the article said the "10 kilowatt-hour battery pack" will power a house for two days. Check my math but if you divide by 12 volts you get 833 amp-hour worth of 12 volt batteries. That is about eight type-29 deep cycle lead acid batteries which is about $800 worth of batteries.

Taken another way, that is 83 amp-hours at 120 volts. At the 48 hours stated in the article that is less than 1.75 amps every hour.  That is like two 100 watt light bulbs on all day.

What am I missing?

That is about a factor of 10 off, right?

Jerseyboy

jonnyc:
Agree, I have an 8 battery bank charging on solar and i cant hardly run 2 small chest freezers sporadically for 24 hours let alone my entire house. when its nice weather we use about  18 to 24 kw hours per day...in the heat of summer double that.

Chemsoldier:
Truly useful home batteries have been identified as a holy grail in science fiction for years.  Heinlein called them "shipstones" if I recall correctly.  They powered ships, houses (that could be located anywhere now that they were not tethered to the grid and the stories had flying cars), just about everything.  Of course, in his stories the company that made the shipstones had a LOT of influence.

Speaking of flying cars...my personal feeling is that waiting for a game changing breakthrough is a mistake.  As preppers/survivalists/homesteaders/etc we must entertain the possibility that the steady or even revolutionary progress of technology will stall (or at least become unattainably expensive) and we should be willing to work with what is in the possible now.  A solar system that will keep you in fans, radios and lights may not be perfect but its something you can have now.

I say don't wait for it.  It might take a year (or ten) for the breakthrough to occur.  Then it will be VERY expensive for a number of years.  If it really is a game changer, the demand will also be very high.  How long do you want to wait?

David in MN:
For the first time I will have an option other than my current energy company that routinely makes errors in billing and autopay and then makes me spend hours on the phone debating late fees that their errors caused.

You don't need ubiquity to revolutionize an industry. My wife and I are so pissed at our provider we'd take a pretty big hit to get an alternative. I'd like to see how my energy company reacts to an instant 5% loss of customers. Maybe service and quality would improve if their monopoly was threatened.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version