Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

grabbed from behind while walking on cell phone.....

<< < (3/5) > >>

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Carl on April 28, 2018, 06:11:56 AM ---  The act of surprise does add much power to an attack and your best defense is awareness of your surroundings or walking in groups for defense.

--- End quote ---

Sure, but we do not want to be stuck at home unless we have a group to go out with ! We go to work, we shop, we may want to take a walk.....

And, yes, I remember walking with my youngest and a friend when they were young teens and the friend didnt get why we crossed over to the other side of the street to not walk by a group of men. And, that is because these days people (around here ) do not want to be offensive, or in the case of this young friend literally felt strong and empowered and was not afraid of anything even if she should have been, had no idea there could be dangers. So, of course, awareness is good.

While it would be prudent to have enough awareness to not be within arms reach of anyone, even at the risk of having them take offense. I have heard of women touched or grabbed in that same town, in what passes as the downtown crowded area were you cannot avoid walking within arms length of others, so given that it is California greater Bay Area, and that we do not take care of our mentally ill or punish criminals, it can happen anywhere. This incident was in an area with people.

And, I get why we do walk alone, even when it is safer to walk in groups. If you are not a woman, you may not know how limiting it is to be told not to jog or hike alone. It is not so easy to just have someone there with you, you just want to go and live your life and get to where you need to get to, or go take that run. The woman in the example up thread was just walking home from work, and quite frankly, at that intersection, it would have been "clowns on the left of me, jokers on the right, and here I am..." She may have picked the clock tower side of the street because it only had one disheveled man, a bit out of shape, as opposed to a group of 4 young ones on the other side. We can be aware and still not be able to avoid all people. So, she walks by the one man, and likely at more than arms length, then he runs up behind her as soon as she passes....   The area in question is not considered a risky place, it was daylight, there were people about, if a woman cant walk alone there, we cant walk alone anywhere.

A few years ago, cant remember, maybe 5 years ago, a different woman, a business owner, was walking home from work from the same small downtown tourist area, in the daylight, in a perpendicular direction from this weeks attack, and out of nowhere a crazed man ran up and attacked her, with a knife, and killed her. Completely random. Some things we can avoid, but it also seems that you are either free or you cage yourself because you can be randomly attacked when you are not in a dangerous area.

Maybe better situational awareness would have us hearing those quick steps towards us, and time to pull out something equalizing, with the risk of looking foolish from time to time with that ka-bar or mace in our hand saying hi to a friend....

I carry pepper spray, on a ring on the outside, hanging off my purse, and I almost had to use it once on a transient woman, as I needed to use the restroom, but it turned out that I moved alot faster than her. Moving quickly and keeping distance, of course, is the best alternative. My hand is on it in many situations, even if most people I know thinks it is silly.

I have seriously considered ways to carry a weapon legally, even if not "yet", for if safety continues to degrade. I am not sure if a fixed blade is effective coming from a small, older woman, it would need a bit of training, but if someone is crazily rushing you, their own weight and momentum would be helpful. A fixed blade can be legally carried if it is not concealed, so a sheath on the outside of your purse, integrated, where the handle can be seen is legal, etc.....   A gun can even be carried if it is unloaded and locked ( dont laugh, while not useful against a sneak attack, an awful lot of times people use a gun or wish they have had a gun, they actually have time ) It can be locked in a purse compartment, a messanger bag, etc... The loaded magazine does not have to be locked, etc...

So, maybe if people know of ways to fend off attacks, or resources because people read these threads, that could be dded to this thread

Carl:
  Our society has changed a lot in half a century and even churches will often have armed staff. I am quite a large man and mostly disabled now...but even when I was able,I often carried something that qualified as a weapon with me. Many times I walked with a cane,a hardwood cane and I knew how to use it to strike any foe to a crippling advantage. I used it twice in 15 ,so far,years and seriously put down attackers that were more capable than I was. There are also tactical umbrellas that can end a fight or a life . Find what your strength is and a weapon of opportunity might not be hard to find.

Many women think that being on the cell phone with hubby or a friend will keep then safe and secure.....this is just a distraction that is often the very reason an attack takes place. Find a SCOTT E VEST (link below) to carry your ID,money,credit cards and phone....so you appear to have NOTHING to STEAL and carry exercise weights (cans of bear spray?) when jogging or walking...learn to arm yourself and remove targets for thieves.It is sad,but we must become more proactive with our own security these days as many people are raised with exposure to the drug/criminal culture and some come from parts of the world that allows violence against others as 'normal'. It is a different world we live in than that we were children in. A woman walking with her hand in her purse just screams GUN to the criminal looking for a target and yet this is a non aggressive posture that makes you far less a target of opportunity as you then pose a threat to evil doers who will look for a far less dangerous victim. 

https://www.scottevest.com/best-travel-clothing.shtml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Ji3jLrd2gIV3bbACh3yPwiiEAAYASAAEgJPFPD_BwE

David in MN:
I get back to boxing. You throw the 3,4,5 punch combination and get in stance and even without knockout power you're at least hardened. Somehow these "insane" people will know to back down from the hint of a fight. I like the pepper spray. I also like having a cell phone out to record. But hand to hand you either know a legit martial art or it's a bad day.

People do not understand the power difference between the sexes. Hollywood has not done us favors in this department. Men are bigger, naturally carry more muscle, have bigger hands, even our waist to shoulder ratio is better for striking. Serena Williams is arguably the best female tennis player ever and she gets beat by amateur men. The best stars of the WNBA can't enter the NBA. I'm a big fan of Holly Holm but I know  she can't swing with the men's division. When you start breaking down strength by gender it's amazingly different. On the order that a female who pursues strength training might be stronger than .1% of the entire healthy male population. If this sounds crazy just remember that the way to cheat at sports is by using testosterone. Compared to women men have a built in cheating advantage at strength.

I know of one woman who defended herself with juijitsu when attacked and left the criminal unconscious. Stuff like Muay Thai or even Tae Kwon Do have a place for defense. I would also advocate wearing clothing that deters people. Does it hurt to exercise in a "South Side Boxing Club" shirt? Clothing from Ringside or Title might make you look like a tough customer.

When my wife used to work out in an unsavory part of town she would show up withher hand in her purse holding her Asp baton. Not quite legal but she felt it was the tool for dealing with vagrants if she needed to protect herself. If that sounds like a good idea you can always use the old Hell's Angels standby. There is no law anywhere preventing you from carrying a ball peen hammer.

It's a sad state of affairs. Where we live my wife can walk around safely and I can't imagine living somewhere she couldn't. And I worry about the escalation as I raise my daughter. When I was younger and worked at a factory and we had a groper we took him on the freight elevator and beat the tar out of him. I don't feel that kind of social stigma anymore. Charles Bronson has become David Hogg.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: David in MN on April 27, 2018, 05:42:07 PM ---
I'll add something that bothers me that we don't talk about. If he's mentally insane he doesn't know the difference. He tries to molest everybody. Oh but his insanity permits him to accost the cute girl and when he fails then the naked jerk session is proof of the brain issues. He's not insane. Insane people do insane things across the board (they're in my family). He's RATIONAL for a molester until he's caught. He would have raped that woman and insanity was a preferred defense.

Would that we lived in a world............

--- End quote ---

Further info on this guy. He was interviewed the week before by the local paper as a representative of homelessness, he seemed fine to them, told them he is homeless by choice as he doesnt want to work anymore ( it is easy to live unhoused and unemployed here, which is why they are here) When he was in jail, the day before the attack, the jail did call mental health services, so he must have had alot of signs of being off, as local jails have seen it all, and usually just release with a court date, but they said he wasnt crazy enough for their limited capacity. When he was arrested after attacking this women police say he was very blank, like he wasnt there, I dont know. He could be as you say, not crazy but acting rational given his warped world view an values, I dont know. I figure lock him up in one place or the other. Given that this has been hitting national news, this one may even get a couple years of jail time.

“He had a blank, unresponsive stare,” Detective Steve Pendleton, who interviewed Muro after the attack, told the Sentinel. “He didn’t seem angry; not sad or anything.”

Muro had been in jail a day before the attack, according to Santa Cruz County Jail records. He was arrested Tuesday on loitering charges, and released later in the day, records said.

Santa Cruz Police Chief Andy Mills told the Sentinel that California’s mental health services are “completely broken.” After Muro’s Tuesday arrest, mental health evaluators looked at Muro and determined he couldn’t be taken to a mental health facility.

“We need to lobby the state legislature and the federal government to make sure we are able to put people like this away where they cannot hurt people,” Mills told the Sentinel.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article210023779.html#storylink=cpy

David in MN:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on April 28, 2018, 01:53:36 PM ---Further info on this guy. He was interviewed the week before by the local paper as a representative of homelessness, he seemed fine to them, told them he is homeless by choice as he doesnt want to work anymore ( it is easy to live unhoused and unemployed here, which is why they are here) When he was in jail, the day before the attack, the jail did call mental health services, so he must have had alot of signs of being off, as local jails have seen it all, and usually just release with a court date, but they said he wasnt crazy enough for their limited capacity. When he was arrested after attacking this women police say he was very blank, like he wasnt there, I dont know. He could be as you say, not crazy but acting rational given his warped world view an values, I dont know. I figure lock him up in one place or the other. Given that this has been hitting national news, this one may even get a couple years of jail time.

“He had a blank, unresponsive stare,” Detective Steve Pendleton, who interviewed Muro after the attack, told the Sentinel. “He didn’t seem angry; not sad or anything.”

Muro had been in jail a day before the attack, according to Santa Cruz County Jail records. He was arrested Tuesday on loitering charges, and released later in the day, records said.

Santa Cruz Police Chief Andy Mills told the Sentinel that California’s mental health services are “completely broken.” After Muro’s Tuesday arrest, mental health evaluators looked at Muro and determined he couldn’t be taken to a mental health facility.

“We need to lobby the state legislature and the federal government to make sure we are able to put people like this away where they cannot hurt people,” Mills told the Sentinel.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article210023779.html#storylink=cpy

--- End quote ---

BS. My wife's aunt is insane. She will send us cards about national pet day and write a message about tracking mileage. We don't have a pet and I don't know why we would track mileage around town. She's legit off her nut and can't tell that she's giving useless information to people on the wrong day. This asshat somehow seems to be able to differentiate between who would be a good victim.

Insane people are just as likely to fight a 12 year old girl and Mike Tyson. They don't understand the consequences of either. If I threw a pipe bomb under the wheel of the Wells Fargo truck and got stopped in the heist stripping naked isn't a defense. This criminal sex offender went in knowing what he was doing and then put on a show to lessen the charges.

Why not a guy? Why not an elderly woman? Why not a 4 year old? This is a junk perp using his knowledge of the criminal code to be labeled crazy rather than a rapist. Nice to know in Cali I can knock over a 7/11 and if I get caught strip naked and blame mental illness. Will this increase or decrease crime?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version