Author Topic: Blackpowder DIY  (Read 16709 times)

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
Blackpowder DIY
« on: October 13, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »
Does anyone know of a good resource for a DIY blackpowder recipe?  Has anyone ever tried to make your own?  That might be a good skill for a truly SHTF situation.  Although I only own one blackpowder firearm, and I think I have enough pyrodex pellets to last for quite a few hunts.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
Re: Blackpowder DIY
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »
Does anyone know of a good resource for a DIY blackpowder recipe?  Has anyone ever tried to make your own?  That might be a good skill for a truly SHTF situation.  Although I only own one blackpowder firearm, and I think I have enough pyrodex pellets to last for quite a few hunts.

I have tried to make my own black powder before. I got the recipe out of an old Enclyopedia Britannica of all places. I used Charcoal briquets, Saltpeter, and Sulphur I dont remember the ratios that I used. It didnt turn out too great. I couldnt get it to "flash" when I took a flame to it. It would just kinda burn real fast fut you could tell it wasnt with the same force as real blackpowder. What I did though was I wound up cutting it with real blackpowder I think half and half and found it worked quite well that way. Was a real money saver back when I used to do Civil War reinacting.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
There was an article in Backwoodsman last year I think.  I'll have to dig it up.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
There was an article in Backwoodsman last year I think.  I'll have to dig it up.

Cool.  I am interested in building my blackpowder collection from a SHTF perspective.  Currently I only have my single inline CVA, but intend on getting a revolver at the very least.  I suppose I will need to stock up on percussion caps...

0degreesK

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »
Anarchist's Cookbook, baby.  heheh...

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »

Cool.  I am interested in building my blackpowder collection from a SHTF perspective.  Currently I only have my single inline CVA, but intend on getting a revolver at the very least.  I suppose I will need to stock up on percussion caps...

And lead...and bullet molds....

nate49080

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »
I did 3 paper routes for a month to save money to buy a muzzle loader. I checked the box that I was 18 (but I was only 14) and ordered it from cabelas. I think that it is the only gun they can not take away from me since I think it is not registered.

Offline jasonfb123

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »
The challenge in making BP is not in the chemicals but in the mixing.  Unless you have a ball mill it is never going to flash like the commercial stuff.  Google ball  mill or diy ball mill and you will get what you need.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
The challenge in making BP is not in the chemicals but in the mixing.  Unless you have a ball mill it is never going to flash like the commercial stuff.  Google ball  mill or diy ball mill and you will get what you need.

Ahhhh thats makes sense. I could never get my stuff to flash I guess thats why.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »
Could you use a motar and pestle for smaller batches?

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »
Go to www.thehighroad.us they have a thread on making blackpowder, very educational....I have considered it.

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=347898&highlight=making+blackpowder

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
There is a book from Paladin Press called Making Your Own Blackpowder. It is an older title but I've seen it on Ebay.

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »
Survive magazine had a two part article many years ago. I think I have them in my basement in a box. If you used charcoal briquette's I can see why your powder didn't work very well. There are alot of binders ie clay and other things, in most briquettes.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
I made some back in high school, when they let kids do that sort of thing.  Im pretty sure I got the basic recipie from the anarchists cookbook and then just played with the mixture to achieve various results. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_powder

Black powder is a granular mixture of

* a nitrate—typically potassium nitrate (KNO3)—which supplies oxygen for the reaction;
    * charcoal, which provides fuel for the reaction in the form of carbon (C);
    * sulfur (S), which, while also a fuel, lowers the temperature of ignition and increases the speed of combustion.

the WTSHTF DIY blackpowder thing is an interesting idea.  The first challenge would be getting the Sulfur Saltpeter and Charcoal. 
Well the charcoal should be an easy one.  Depending on your regioin you may or may not have naturally occuring sulfur.
Saltpeter can be made by pissing on your compost heap.

Potassium nitrate is the most important ingredient in terms of both bulk and function because the combustion process releases oxygen from the potassium nitrate, promoting the rapid burning of the other ingredients

And you can DIY w/o the sulfur, but looks like you'd need a primer.

Sulfur-free gunpowder

The development of smokeless powders, such as Cordite, in the late 19th century created the need for a spark-sensitive priming charge, such as gunpowder. However, the sulfur content of traditional gunpowders caused corrosion problems with Cordite Mk I and this led to the introduction of a range of sulfur-free gunpowders, of varying grain sizes.[7] They typically contain 70.5 parts of saltpetre and 29.5 parts of charcoal.[7] Like black powder, they were produced in different grain sizes. In United Kingdom, the finest grain was known as sulfur-free mealed powder (SMP). Coarser grains were numbered as sulfur-free gunpowder (SFG n): 'SFG 12', 'SFG 20', 'SFG 40' and 'SFG 90', for example, where the number was a BSS sieve mesh size, being the smallest mesh size on which no grains were retained.

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »
 "Anarchist's Cookbook", that crazy mofo Kurt Saxon 'sed some of the recipes in that tome were so dangerous that he felt the Feds published it covertly to help militants off themselves :o 

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
i have herd that back in the day the mountain men used to make there own black powder by using charcoal and peeing on it and letting it dry a few times.
just what i herd not sure and i might try it given that its apparently easy to make.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
For the reloaders in the group...

So...if I do actually succeed in making my own black powder...can I use it to reload smokeless cartridges?  Say...a..308 round?  What would be the ramifications of reloading modern cartridges with blackpowder?  Could I use them in a bolt gun?  Probably not a semi-auto...hmmmm? 

Primers?  Can they be "reloaded"?

Answers!!  I have questions.  I need answers? ;D

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »
i have herd that back in the day the mountain men used to make there own black powder by using charcoal and peeing on it and letting it dry a few times.
just what i herd not sure and i might try it given that its apparently easy to make.

Indeed you can subliminate saltpeter from urine

saltpeter + charcoal = powder.  Throw in some sulfur and BANG!

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

So...if I do actually succeed in making my own black powder...can I use it to reload smokeless cartridges?  Say...a..308 round?  What would be the ramifications of reloading modern cartridges with blackpowder?  Could I use them in a bolt gun?  Probably not a semi-auto...hmmmm? 

the only problems with reloading with black powder as a substitute for smokeless is you will have to clean you gun after shooting it and lower power
i don't know if there is a way to reload primers

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
Anarchist's Cookbook, baby.  heheh...
don't use the anarchist cookbook the recipes in the book are NOT SAFE find find other ways to make the things you want don't trust that book

FightTheBlight

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »
this is not for the faint of heart or for the ill informed. this information here can KILL YOU if you don't know what you're doing. it can also get you on the fbi's watch list if you aren't smart. i am not responsable for what you do with this information.

now on to the goodies.

making gun powder/black powder

http://www.zoklet.net/totse/en/bad_ideas/ka_fucking_boom/166121.html

EDIT BY MODERATOR: Links to bomb-making info deleted.  Please note the following from our Terms of Use and Policies:

4) Certain topics will not be allowed such as explosives, drug use by members, or any topic which is Racist/Hateful/Derogatory/Slanderous.

I have left up the link for black powder manufacture, but please do NOT post any explosives links on this forum.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:56:52 AM by Mr. Bill »

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »

The main issue being that BP does not have as much energy as smokeless. So you need more of it - most modern cartridges do not have the case capacity to get good results from BP.

However, there are some modern cartridges that started as BP - the most common is probably 45-70. Say you have a H&R single shot 45-70... no reason you can't ream the chamber and make it into a 45-90 or 45-120 - now you have more than enough case capacity for good velocity using BP.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:56 AM »

Yes you can reload smokeless cartridges with black powder. As some have already stated, several of the smokeless cartridges in common use today originated as black powder cartridges. If you choose to do this there are a few things that I know of to watch out for.

First, when seating the bullet make sure that there are no voids in the cartridge. If the bullet is not seated down on top of the powder charge you will get a tremendous pressure spike. You know how with most center fire cartridges if you shake them you can hear the powder inside? Well if you do that with black powder you could blow yourself and your gun up. The Lyman manual I have provides data that results in slightly compressed loads to prevent this.

Second, black powder is measured by volume not weight. Ten grains of one is not the same as ten grains of the other.

Third, make sure you maintain the firearm properly. Using black powder is similar to using the most corrosive surplus ammo. When you fire your gun it needs to be cleaned thoroughly even if you fire only one shot. Ammonia helps neutralize corrosive effect. I use glass cleaner with ammonia to clean both my black powder guns as well as my SKS/AK after firing the nasty stuff.

Primers can be reloaded, I have seen it done before. The process I know of is very time consuming, wasteful and not very reliable. I would rather stock up a crapload of primers than do this.

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »
The main issue being that BP does not have as much energy as smokeless. So you need more of it - most modern cartridges do not have the case capacity to get good results from BP.

However, there are some modern cartridges that started as BP - the most common is probably 45-70. Say you have a H&R single shot 45-70... no reason you can't ream the chamber and make it into a 45-90 or 45-120 - now you have more than enough case capacity for good velocity using BP.

more popular cartridges that started as BP would be .30-30 (.30 caliber bullet, 30 grains of blackpowder) .38 special, 45 Colt.