Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

Educate me on dyeing clothes

(1/3) > >>

Greekman:
well, I Like my clothes, money is tight so dying them is a good option.
they are more lost their color than worn, courtesy of the high chlorine water of ours.

I have already dyed some dark blues and blacks I wear outdoors or under other clothes but I am not pleased with the outcome.
( I do follow instructions) After 7-8 handwashings with color friendly detergent I see loss of color on the edges and raised areas.
But I do not get any coloring on the skin. I tend to think it is the dyes fault so I am looking at buying RIT ones from abroad.

Are they THAT good? Or what is my expereinces so far the best one can get by dyeing clothes?

nkawtg:
Don't know if RIT is that good.
Here are some tips for using RIT.
https://www.ritstudio.com/techniques/tips-for-successful-dyeing/

Morning Sunshine:
 :popcorn:

nkawtg:
You bring up a good subject Greekman.
When times get tough, making our clothing look good and last longer is a subject that doesn't get discussed much.

:popcorn:

Cedar:
RIT dye I have been happy with, but mostly I use natural dyes on my cloth and yarns. For instance you can get nine colors of dye just from onion skins, depending on what mordant (or none), that you use, which are lightfast and colorfast. Some mortants are as easy as using nails, cast iron, alum, ammonia (technically ammonia isnt), salt, copper pipe etc.

Tea and coffee also work, as does walnut hulls, grape leaves in the fall for yellows, yarrow and sage for greens.

RIT dye is the more reliable for the EXACT same hue each time, you are guarenteed to have different ranges with natural dyes, so if you want more than one article the same exact color, it needs to go.into the same dyebath.

Cedar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version