Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

Selling your work

(1/5) > >>

Kilted Brewer:
I'll start with a bit of background.  I taught myself to knit from a couple of Debbie Bliss books.  After several attempts to quit smoking, I figured I should find something to keep my hands busy to increase my chance of success.  I needed something cheap, light, and portable so I could have it when I wanted to smoke.

Other than a few sniggers at a man knitting, it worked like a charm.

Over the years I've stuck with it and have gotten decent for a self taught guy.  I make gifts for folks thought the year, along with stuff we can use at home.  I'm slow (I let go of one needle to work the yarn), but methodical.

The other night it struck me.  As a stay at home Dad, I have short bursts of downtime throughout the day.  And after I put the kids to bed, I often pick up the needles and listen to an episode before bed myself.  I'm still not fast, but I am knitting more often.  And am running out of people needing knitted gifts.

So, why not sell some of this?  I have a big stash of yarn my mom gave me, so materials are free.  And wile my time is important and valuable, this is time I'm knitting anyway.  So any projects I sell would be almost all profit for me.  It would be nice to have some extra cash to roll into the debt snowball.

Do any of you sell your knitted projects?
Where do you have the most luck selling?  eBay, etsy, other web sites?
What types of knitted items do you find easiest to sell?

Lately I've been on a cabled scarf kick.  Everyone needs a warm, cozy scarf right?

What works for you?  It sure would be nice to make the downtime I have a bit more productive!

LibertyBelle:

--- Quote from: Kilted Brewer on July 07, 2013, 05:07:25 PM ---I taught myself to knit from a couple of Debbie Bliss books. 

--- End quote ---

Kool! What was the first book of Bliss's that you started with?
I have a few dozen sets of needles of various sizes that I've picked up here and there at estate auctions, but I have yet to learn how to knit.  ::)

Kilted Brewer:
I used "How to Knit" and her "Knitting Workbook".  They had what I thought were the best illustrations- good for a guy with all thumbs.

Now, you can find all the instruction you need on youtube to get started.  The videos available are great and I use them when I try something new.

But I'm a bit old fashioned and still like having a book handy!

sammyj:
Check out this site.  I have bought a couple gifts here.  I hate the slave made Chinese shit.

http://www.etsy.com/

LibertyBelle:

--- Quote from: Kilted Brewer on July 07, 2013, 06:22:12 PM ---But I'm a bit old fashioned and still like having a book handy!

--- End quote ---

Thanks....and me too (like having a book).  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version