Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Needles & Strings

What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
never heard of nalebinding.  I wonder if my hands would handle it.  I used to crochet a lot.  love doing it.  but my carpel tunnel has made it impossible to do anymore.

Mullers Lane Farm:
I took a class in nalbinding this past spring and made a cute little bag.  I have a few nalbinding needles and plan to reaquaint myself with it again after Christmas.

For those who were wondering ... it is pronounced Nawl Bending

What techniques do I know?

Knitting, crocheting, wheel spinning, spindle spinning, 1-, 2- & 4-harness weaving, weaving without a loom, needle tatting, fiber prep for spinning (taking fresh shorn wool and preparing it for spinning), needle felting, wet felting, dyeing roving, dyeing yarns, embroidery, needle punch embroidery, locker hooking.

What's next??  Perhaps wool rug hooking.

RitaRose1945:
I knit, sew, quilt, crochet, do a little beading and embroider.  I've done a little leather work before, but not enough to know what I'm doing.

What would I like to learn?  I think at this point I'm still looking to improve my skills in all of these areas, but especially sewing clothes that actually fit.

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: Twibble on November 24, 2011, 01:37:19 PM ---There's different grips?  :o

I just grab the needles and go...

--- End quote ---

There are two different "schools" of knitting, so to speak:Continental and English (link to youtube video). I knit English because that's how I was taught and my fingers are so used to it that I get frustrated trying to learn a new technique. Maybe I'll make some dishcloths or something where gauge doesn't matter to learn Continental.

Okay, how did I miss this thread the first time through?!

--- Quote from: Mullers Lane Farm on December 04, 2013, 07:43:39 PM ---Knitting, crocheting, wheel spinning, spindle spinning, 1-, 2- & 4-harness weaving, weaving without a loom, needle tatting, fiber prep for spinning (taking fresh shorn wool and preparing it for spinning), needle felting, wet felting, dyeing roving, dyeing yarns, embroidery, needle punch embroidery, locker hooking.

--- End quote ---

This is where I hope to be someday. I'm an experienced knitter, a mediocre crocheter, a newbie weaver and spinner, and I've done a smattering of other things (embroidery, yarn dyeing, needle felting, sewing). I would love to learn more about dyeing and fiber prep, but don't currently have the proper home facilities for it. I kind of would love to have my own yarn shop someday...or maybe a "fiber farm"...or maybe a hand-dyeing business, I'm not sure yet. My long-term dreams depend on my mood at the time ;)

FireMommy:
As I posted in another thread on needle skills, Wow, what an amazing collection of skills!  I have next to none of these skills, but I'm homeschooling my three daughters and I really want to make an assortment of these skills a part of our weekly lessons.  I do cross-stitch and can hand-sew items to repair them.  I have a sewing machine and know how to thread and use it, but I have no idea how to figure out sewing patterns. 

One of my daughter's and I both really want alpacas in the future, but I won't get them without learning the skills of using the wool.  So...with that being said, I would truly appreciate any helpful info any of you have about where I might be able to start learning some skills.  One of my daughter's is particularly interested in crocheting and the other in spinning. I would love to learn any and all of these skills with them, but I have no idea where to start.  Any information you can lend, or just pointing me in the right direction of some great tutorials, would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you SO much!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version