Author Topic: 500 million gallon coal slurry disaster in Harriman TN  (Read 457 times)

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
500 million gallon coal slurry disaster in Harriman TN
« on: December 24, 2008, 12:06:57 AM »
Heads up to all TN folks. This looks really bad. Could affect the water supply of several states possibly more adverse effects.

Looks like there was a HUGE (500 million gallons) dump of coal slurry into the water system. No main stream media coverage as of yet. I'm trying to find out the impact on the water supply.

LINK
LINK #2

Looks like this could be bad for several states.

EDIT:

Looks like a few more stories are coming out:
LINK #3
LINK #4

From CNN:
"Fly ash contains concentrated amounts of mercury, arsenic and benzine, said Chandra Taylor, staff attorney for the Southern Environmental Law Center.

"These things are naturally occurring, but they concentrate in the burning process and the residual is more toxic than it starts," she told CNN.

Appalachian environmentalists compared the mess with another spill eight years ago in eastern Kentucky, where the bottom of a coal sludge impoundment owned by Massey Energy broke into an abandoned underground mine, oozing more than 300 million gallons of coal waste into tributaries.

The water supply for more than 25,000 residents was contaminated, and aquatic life in the area perished. It took months to clean up the spill."

The articles seem to contridict themselves when it comes to the results of the toxicity tests. First it says all is good, then it says IF the tests come back with high levels of toxin. Not sure what to believe here. I would advise caution, then again, I always advise caution.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:04:51 AM by Trioxin »

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: 500 million gallon coal slurry disaster in Harriman TN
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »
THANKS Trioxin!  I AM downstream and hadn't heard a word about it.

Tim.