The TSP Marketplace > The Berkey Guy - Berkey Light Water Filters

Will a Berkey Filter Urine?

(1/2) > >>

Black November:
Will a Berkey Filter Urine? (not too drink :o, but as a method of disposing liquid human waste)

I have been looking into composting toilets, and vermicomposting as an off-grid solution to dealing with human waste. Composting solids seems pretty straight forward, but disposing of liquid waste seems a bit more challenging. I know that small amounts of urine deluted with water can be good for plants, but dealing with the 138 gallons that an average person produces per year may require a mini treatment facility.

Just wondering if a berkey filter could somehow be incorporated into a mini treatment facility. Just a thought.
[Turning black water => Into grey water]

theBINKYhunter:
first thing i thought of when reading the title:

i'm going to stick around for the answer, great question!

Perfesser:
Assuming a 10:1 dilution you might get 3-5 gallons of "fortified water" per day.  If you can't use that much in your garden, you need a bigger one.
Plants, soil and microbes are probably your best way of "filtering" in this case.

David in MN:
Oh, I'm going to admit this... All winter I go out to my shed and pee on the leaves I plan to compost come spring (in a barrel). It's a cold weather thing when you can't effectively compost. Even the most hippie gardening friends look at me cross eyed when I tell them. I don't know about Berkeys but you can use urine in composting.

theberkeyguy:

--- Quote from: Black November on January 23, 2014, 03:06:17 PM ---Will a Berkey Filter Urine? (not too drink :o, but as a method of disposing liquid human waste)

I have been looking into composting toilets, and vermicomposting as an off-grid solution to dealing with human waste. Composting solids seems pretty straight forward, but disposing of liquid waste seems a bit more challenging. I know that small amounts of urine deluted with water can be good for plants, but dealing with the 138 gallons that an average person produces per year may require a mini treatment facility.

Just wondering if a berkey filter could somehow be incorporated into a mini treatment facility. Just a thought.
[Turning black water => Into grey water]

--- End quote ---

While I am not sure how it would filter it, and from what I have heard, I do not recommend filtering your urine through the Berkey.  Usually people filter and drink urine on TV for entertainment value.

theberkeyguy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version