Community & Regional Connections > Region One

Can't find local like minded people!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cedar:
Or in my case, does it really matter you cannot find like minded people? From 1996 to 2011, there was no one with the homesteady type/prepping type like me. Then I found 'prepper/homesteading'community online and I am satisfied with that. Sure I see nelson, Archer, Tyana occasionally, but not as often as I would like.

Cedar

nowhereman:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to come across all whiny but it has been frustrating. This thread is probably more of a rant about society's sad state than anything else.

I do have a good network of friends but they are all 100+ miles from here. I do have a couple of work friends that I "converted" to prepping but they don't live local enough. They are in the infancy stages of prepping but its a start. I was proud when one of them said that if all hell breaks loose he'll come to my place but bring food and a tent to stay in. :)

Moving isn't an option because all family and work is here and I put a lot of work into the homestead to give it all up.

I am very fortunate to have a wife and family on board so that helps TREMENDOUSLY! I truly wish for another couple that had similar interests nearby (close enough for dinner invites) to share all the cool stuff that happens here. Every once in a while I really do need some help with one of my projects.

I must live in a very "dead" area. Farming isn't overly popular, no garden clubs, no crime watch groups, no real communities that could foster meeting new folks. Trust me, I am constantly scanning local newspapers and other places for get togethers of that sort. I'd love to be engaged but have yet to find a way to do it.

I am very envious of people who have prepper neighbors, small mutual assistance groups, etc. in their area. I do come in contact with lots of people who hear and see the things I do and think it's great. You can actually see them jealous of it in a small way.  Unfortunately, for them, there is a football game on or they are too hung over when it comes to doing it themselves. Most people around here can't get off their smartphones long enough for a short polite conversation.

I guess I take some solace that I'm not the only one in this boat and I am lucky to have a family interested in all of this. The times I actually need another prepper are times when the snow is deep and travel is tough or some similar situation. Having a local person would be fantastic but I'll need to be satisfied with the bounty I have.

/NWM

Oil Lady:
Dude, I'm in Springfield.

Fixit:
Ya know that's what I like about middle Tn. I can't hardly go anywhere around here without bumping into fellow preppers.

endurance:
I network with everyone I can here, but nobody lives close by.  Sure, I have been lucky enough to have a handful that were trustworthy enough to invite to a BBQ at my 'stead last summer, but it's not like any of us have a giant community of all preppers surrounding us.  I live in a community that is just remote enough that most people have generators and a few weeks deep pantry, but they're not "preppers" per se.  I'm a member of a Volunteer Fire Department, all people who are willing to get up at 3:00am to run into a burning home to save a total stranger, but none of them are "preppers" either.  But they are good neighbors and good friends who would give you the shirt off their backs.  That's who you want to network with. 

My opinion of "preppers" isn't all that great.  While there's plenty of good examples of good people on this forum, the majority of preppers I've met from other sources are 'lone wolf' types who would rather shoot their neighbor for trespassing than dig a little extra food out of their larder for them.  So choose your "like-minded" folks carefully. There's plenty of ways to meet good people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version