News > Current Severe Emergency Situations

Virginia Earthquake

<< < (4/13) > >>

Adam Campbell:
We felt it here in Pittsburgh pretty well. I am on the 4th floor of an office building that was swaying enough to cause the light fixtures and heating ducts to start swinging back and fourth.

While not terribly worried we all got up and left the building — it was a good excuse to get out of working for some of the afternoon!

But seriously I just found out that in the event we need to QUICKLY evacuate the building I am in, if I don't jump out of my chair and BOLT to the stairway I am as good as dead in a real danger scenario.

It was probably 15 minutes to get out of the building from the 4th floor because the stairways were completely packed.

mangyhyena:
I'm in NJ & felt it.  Maybe lasted 8 seconds or so.  No big deal.  All 7 of us made it outside just as it stopped.

Had bathtub filled, BOB loaded in truck, along with food & water supplies, within 10 minutes.  Will leave tub filled till we know it's all over for sure. Trying to think of anything I missed, for future events so I can do it better.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Adam B. on August 23, 2011, 01:07:05 PM ---But seriously I just found out that in the event we need to QUICKLY evacuate the building I am in, if I don't jump out of my chair and BOLT to the stairway I am as good as dead in a real danger scenario.

It was probably 15 minutes to get out of the building from the 4th floor because the stairways were completely packed.

--- End quote ---
I've learned to be a bolter myself.  Every fire alarm I'm across the street ordering my coffee before my boss even makes it out of the building.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: FreeLanceR on August 23, 2011, 12:56:32 PM ---I'm in DC for a meeting and most people evacuated the ballroom, leaving us Californians to chat amongst ourselves.
--- End quote ---

I don't know why, but this amused me.  still chuckling.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: FreeLanceR on August 23, 2011, 12:56:32 PM ---I'm in DC for a meeting and most people evacuated the ballroom, leaving us Californians to chat amongst ourselves.

--- End quote ---

LOL! I was wondering if any Californians were there, chuckling to themselves. ;D


--- Quote from: Adam B. on August 23, 2011, 01:07:05 PM ---We felt it here in Pittsburgh pretty well. I am on the 4th floor of an office building that was swaying enough to cause the light fixtures and heating ducts to start swinging back and fourth.

--- End quote ---

That's typical rolling quake behavior. I expect you weren't "jolted" too badly then. Rolling quakes are the best kinds. It's like being on a swing that is moving back and forth without you wanting it to move at all. Much better than a jolting earthquake that makes the floor drop out from under you and then shove itself back up into your shins without you wanting it to do so. Jolting quakes tend to make light fixtures jump and then snap downwards again. Not fun at ALL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version