Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

preban and postban gas cans?

<< < (3/3)

NightOwl:
I figured the purpose of a spout is "spill" in a controlled fashion.  How can a spout be spill-proof if that's what it's supposed to do anyway?

Stein:

--- Quote from: mike on February 11, 2009, 01:48:28 PM ---Dan, thanks for the comments.

I live in Virginia.  To avoid the CARB compliant cans, I may have to have my order shipped to a "free state."

Stein, $60-80 is too much.  Expedition Exchange has them in the $40's with a $5 discount if you buy 4 cans.  Not mil sup prices but a lot of the surplus dealers are showing out of stock.

Now, the question is poly Scepter or steel Wedco?

A year or so ago, I was looking at cans when gas prices were all over the place.  The cheapo cans have a warning that they are not to store fuel for use in automobiles.  Is that a safety thing or a contamination issue?

--- End quote ---

Does Expedition Exchange have the Scepter cans or just the Wedco ones?  I was looking for the Scepter ones.

The Scepter cans are pretty indestructible from what I have read.  I saw videos of Hummers driving over them and them being dropped from pretty high.  They will never rust and won't break your toe if you drop them.

Yes, carrying fuel in vehicles is dangerous.  Built in fuel tanks are located so they will not likely be ruptured during an impact, are protected by metal and frame and are not likely to leak into the cabin if they do rupture.  If you have a fuel can in the vehicle and it punctures or leaks, you are soaked in gas.  I know a couple of guys that had a single 5 gallon can in the bed of a truck, secured.  They got in a wreck and it was punctured and leaked all over one of the guys.  It ignited him and really did some bad things - months in the hospital.

In an emergency, I would take extra fuel, but not every day.  My car holds 20 gallons with a 500 mile range and our Suburban has a 40 gallon tank with a 600 mile range.  For everyday needs, I keep a full tank.

Dan:

--- Quote from: Uncle Charlie on February 11, 2009, 04:42:54 PM ---I figured the purpose of a spout is "spill" in a controlled fashion.  How can a spout be spill-proof if that's what it's supposed to do anyway?

--- End quote ---

Spill as in the can was knocked over spilling the gas out on the ground. The spouts have some sort of dead man valve wherein you must not only tip the can but perform some other contortion in order to get gas to poor through the spout.  ::)

Dan:

--- Quote from: Stein on February 11, 2009, 05:34:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: mike on February 11, 2009, 01:48:28 PM ---Dan, thanks for the comments.

I live in Virginia.  To avoid the CARB compliant cans, I may have to have my order shipped to a "free state."

Stein, $60-80 is too much.  Expedition Exchange has them in the $40's with a $5 discount if you buy 4 cans.  Not mil sup prices but a lot of the surplus dealers are showing out of stock.

Now, the question is poly Scepter or steel Wedco?

A year or so ago, I was looking at cans when gas prices were all over the place.  The cheapo cans have a warning that they are not to store fuel for use in automobiles.  Is that a safety thing or a contamination issue?

--- End quote ---

Does Expedition Exchange have the Scepter cans or just the Wedco ones?  I was looking for the Scepter ones.

The Scepter cans are pretty indestructible from what I have read.  I saw videos of Hummers driving over them and them being dropped from pretty high.  They will never rust and won't break your toe if you drop them.

Yes, carrying fuel in vehicles is dangerous.  Built in fuel tanks are located so they will not likely be ruptured during an impact, are protected by metal and frame and are not likely to leak into the cabin if they do rupture.  If you have a fuel can in the vehicle and it punctures or leaks, you are soaked in gas.  I know a couple of guys that had a single 5 gallon can in the bed of a truck, secured.  They got in a wreck and it was punctured and leaked all over one of the guys.  It ignited him and really did some bad things - months in the hospital.

In an emergency, I would take extra fuel, but not every day.  My car holds 20 gallons with a 500 mile range and our Suburban has a 40 gallon tank with a 600 mile range.  For everyday needs, I keep a full tank.

--- End quote ---

Expedition Exchange does not carry the Scepter cans to my knowledge. Brigade Quartermaster carries both the Scepter  water and fuel cans but has a “Does not comply with CARB regulations. For Military Purchase and Use only.” statement next to the fuel cans.

schild:
I was sold on Scepter cans until they no longer imported them and I wasn't going to pay $70+ on ebay for used cans.
Here is the best deal around Wedco cans(I do think they are more leak proof than Scepter) $29+ $10 shipping and that includes the spouts. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220291482946#ht_500wt_1840

If you want U.S. manufactured military water cans almost identical to the Scepter gas cans( these are for water only, the gasket is different than the gas cans and the spout doesn't fit) these cans are $15 SHIPPED, yes that is CORRECT $15 shipped-

Go to www.buylci.com

Upper right corner click on "shop now".

Click on "personal items".
They did change the website and make them harder to find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version