Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Rifle Skills

<< < (10/10)

Davew223:
Might want to check back into being able to change the 110 from .338 to 6.5.  I seem to remember that the 110 in .338 uses a beefier action than the standard 110. 

I don't know if you will be able to find a bolt face that will work.  Even if it can be done you would be giving up one of the biggest advantages to the Creed which is the short action that all the PRS shooters seem to think is necessary.  Finding a mag that would work could also be an issue. 

With that said, swapping to 7 Mag should work just fine if you can find a mag that will work.  I'm running a 110 with a Krieger #19 contour barrel in 7 Mag.  With the 162 grain A-Max at 2650 fps (low pressure load, about the same as a 7mm-08) those loads are just as flat as the ELD-X match loads my cousin is running in his Creed.  That 2650 load works fine at 1000+.  It's also getting sub .15" groups off the bench at 100.  With a higher pressure load in the 3100 fps range it's fine at 1600. 

Carl:
  I suggest a common caliber in a rifle that adapts to you well and put the 'custom' money and caliber on the shelf til such time as a new barrel is needed and take the money saved to get good sight or optics and practice practice practice till the time you can call your shots ...when you and the gun fit well , the caliber will have little effect and you will have nothing to blame poor shooting on beyond yourself.

David in MN:
I bought a copy of Cooper's The Art of the Rifle.

First, it's out of print and fetching ~$60 on the used market for a 97 page book. So right off the bat don't buy unless you really want it.

It's not a book about shooting mechanics. Sure there are chapters on grip and shooting positions but it's more a philosophy of how to have a rifle on your body and bring it into effective use. I would say that the book completely ignores what I would call long range or precision shooting and instead focuses on what I would call "practical" rifle skills. There are no tricked out long range rifles and very little semi-auto guns (mostly H&K G3). It's really a book of bolt .308 guns with either low power scopes or scout configurations.

Where this book really shines is the concept that a rifle belongs on your shoulder. To do this Cooper is really good at stripping off unnecessary weight and focusing on a rifleman being ready to deploy his rifle at all times. He goes so far that he believes your rifle should be your best friend. There's a lot of good information on the philosophy of having and using a rifle.

A lot of anecdotes in the book are heavily flavored by Cooper's experiences on dangerous hunts in Africa and his tertiary involvement in the Rhodesian Bush War. A lot of life experience where carrying a rifle daily was probably a good idea.

If you're looking for a book about the thinking behind a practical/scout/surplus rifle and how to employ it best try to borrow it. You can get what you need in about 45 minutes.

NWPilgrim:
David, that is a great summary of Cooper's book.  It kind of resists definition by any of our competitive sport styles, and certainly not from the bench or deer stand.  Maybe even not for the "Carry once or twice a year for a deer hunt" either. I think the closest American "style" would be a ranch rifle.  Carried often, used for game or targets of opportunity, and if necessary for defense from dangerous game or men.  To be carried by a "rifleman."

While there may be other areas of rifle shooting of interest to a person not covered in this book, I believe it is an important foundational work of understanding the "always ready, general purpose" rifle.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: trekker111 on September 19, 2017, 04:25:33 PM ---If you think you may want to do long range shooting, or may eventually want to get a suppressor, and since you get a discount on savage, I would look at the savage 10BA stealth for your 308. I have the 110BA stealth in 338 Lapua mag and love it. I've been impressed with the 10BA and 110BA rifles, factory blueprinted actions, suppressor ready, Drake chassis, good stuff. I will end up getting one myself once the barrel of my 10FP is worn
out.

--- End quote ---

I've been out with the 110 BA Stealth in .338 Lapua with a Bushnell DMR II Pro. Yeah, that is a damn fine gun. I was nervous as hell pulling the trigger because my brother in law's .300 WinMag kills on one side and cripples on the other but between the muzzle brake and Drake chassis that has a recoil reduction system I would say it recoils considerably less than my scout .308. Maybe it has something to do with the obscene weight... I will also say that either I'm getting better or that is a very easy gun to zero and work with. Scope might help there too. But for some reason I just found it to be inherently accurate, repeatable, and easy to work with. I see why it's a big hit in the long range community.

That said, I will add a caveat. Don't buy a stupid crazy sniper rifle unless you really want it and know what you're getting. After thousands on the gun (which is admittedly on the budget side) and thousands more on the scope you still need to buy rounds that each cost $5 and an extra mag is $100. The scope rings cost about $100 as well. It's a bit of a project. But if you have the drive real fun.

Only downside was getting yelled at by the safety officer. No, I didn't do anything wrong. I was "too loud".  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version