Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

Experimenting with a DIY VHF Dipole

<< < (2/2)

Greekman:

--- Quote from: Carl on August 23, 2017, 05:21:26 PM ---add a couple more elements to the shield connected side and you have a ground plane....

--- End quote ---

in fact i almost did. it so happened i watched a Kevin Loughin's (KB9RLW) suggesting the thing, the day before.

photobucket is acting up, so I will not be posting the pic yet

Carl:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on August 23, 2017, 09:02:18 PM ---If you have a half wave dipole, why should you also need the ground plane?

--- End quote ---

I guess my humor was wasted. You really can't improve the SWR of a dipole without inducing LOSS to the antenna or feedline...1.5 to one is what you get and PLEASE PEOPLE ....remember that SWR is not an indicator of antenna performance any more than your autos 'oil' light is a gauge of RPM, SWR is a measure of the impedance match ONLY and a dipole is a 70 ohm antenna ,so the best you can get ,without inducing loss,is 1.5 to one...or we would all be using dummy loads for antennas.

Smurf Hunter:
But I can spend a lot of money on a dummy load that gives a perfect 50 ohms any every band.

Carl:
 :tinfoily:
--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on August 24, 2017, 07:13:06 AM ---But I can spend a lot of money on a dummy load that gives a perfect 50 ohms any every band.

--- End quote ---

Yes ,you can.

Greekman:

--- Quote from: Carl on August 24, 2017, 06:04:01 AM ---1.5 to one is what you get and PLEASE PEOPLE ....remember that SWR is not an indicator of antenna performance any more than your autos 'oil' light is a gauge of RPM, SWR is a measure of the impedance match ONLY and a dipole is a 70 ohm antenna ,so the best you can get ,without inducing loss,is 1.5 to one...or we would all be using dummy loads for antennas.

--- End quote ---

well my experiment was to find out if the impedance changes to a much favorable one

--- Quote --- You really can't improve the SWR of a dipole without inducing LOSS to the antenna or feedline
--- End quote ---
Assuming that -as in my case- nothing changes other than the angle of the elements, where the extra loss would come from?
I mean is there any other kind of energy expenditure other than return and radiated power?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version