Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

Charge a battery from Atmospheric static

(1/3) > >>

Carl:
Yes, you can collect static on a wire antenna and charge a battery. The simple circuit uses an old automotive ignition coil,some wire for the antenna ,a spark plug and a couple of simple components.

LETHAL VOLTAGES can be found ,so care must be used with this simple circuit. It is said that an auto battery can be fully charged in a day or two with a windy day and low humidity.
This is NOT a project to attempt without some electrical knowledge as lethal voltages will be present on the circuit.

High voltage collects in the capacitor until it SPARKS across the spark plug and then the high voltage is stepped down in the ignition coil to a lower voltage/higher current  that is rectified by the diode to charge the battery...

xxdabroxx:
Are you powering the ignition coil in reverse? 

What gauge wire for the antenna?  Does it need to be stretched out, or is coiled up fine?  I have a spool of really light gauge wire that might lend itself well to a project like this.  (It came with my dogs electronic fence, but I used heavier gauge wire) 

Do all ground wires go to the battery, or does it require an earth ground? 

Cedar:
So I grew up with these things down the road which are from Bonneville Power. These lines often pop, snack and crackle with static in the air, so you are saying you can charge batteries with that? Often we are fearful of getting anywhere near these things we could hear at home a half mile or better away.

Cedar

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Carl on August 30, 2016, 05:10:05 PM ---It is said that an auto battery can be fully charged in a day or two with a windy day and low humidity.

--- End quote ---
That last part makes it all moot for me!  Interesting idea though Carl, thanks for posting.

Carl:

--- Quote from: xxdabroxx on August 30, 2016, 05:59:00 PM ---Are you powering the ignition coil in reverse? 

What gauge wire for the antenna?  Does it need to be stretched out, or is coiled up fine?  I have a spool of really light gauge wire that might lend itself well to a project like this.  (It came with my dogs electronic fence, but I used heavier gauge wire) 

Do all ground wires go to the battery, or does it require an earth ground?

--- End quote ---

The wire needs to be stretched out to collect static and should be heavy enough to support it's own weight...yes the ignition coil is used BACKWARDS as a transformer.EARTH ground is needed to provide a path for the static to go as it interacts with the coil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version