Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

QRP how-to article

(1/2) > >>

Alan Georges:
Saw this posted recently: http://offgridham.com/2016/01/getting-started-qrp/

I'm not a big fan of QRP, especially on SSB during an emergency, but I can see it as a way to sharpen skills.  I suppose when doing PSK31 I could dial back on the power from my usual 20w to 5w and sport the /qrp on the end of my call sign and probably never miss the extra 6 dB – under ordinary circumstances.  Anyway, QRP's been roundly beaten up here at TSP in the past, just search on the string 'qrp' on the ham board, so I won't belabor the point.

Bottom line, it's an interesting read and seems appropriate to post here on the how-to board.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on January 06, 2016, 07:36:43 PM --- Anyway, QRP's been roundly beaten up here at TSP in the past, just search on the string 'qrp' on the ham board....

--- End quote ---

....or 'FT-817'....

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on January 07, 2016, 02:38:08 AM ---....or 'FT-817'....

--- End quote ---
Hmmm yeah, to a very large extent the two are synonymous these days.  High praise indeed for that little radio.  I've seen a friend's 817 in action, and they really are that good.

Carl:
Yes,I have beat on QRP a bit ...because it is NOT the ideal radio for emergency work...but ,as I have said before, QRP is a FUN part of my hobby and you can do surprising things with it....but it is like climbing with a 550 paracord as your safety rope....just should not be relied on. I just don't think such an important piece of gear should be minimalist.

I did enjoy the article  :)

armymars:
  I think that when people talk about QRP and emergency equipment there talking about something they can have on them no mater what. Small, Light, Simple. Like when your back packing. It's better to have a small gun then none at all.  Grin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version