Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Home birth of new grandson

(1/3) > >>

TxMom:
I had two of my kids at home, on purpose, with a mid-wife.  Better than a hospital setting.

My oldest daughter had her 2nd one at home, birthed in water.

My daughter-in-law just had her 3rd home birth.  The easiest one yet. I didn't make it to the first birth, she lived further away then, but I saw the last two. Her second one was scary, she was hemorrhaging and her midwife panicked.  The midwife also had an MD with her.  She ended up with an ambulance ride to the hospital and a blood transfusion. 

This time she asked very specific questions interviewing midwifes. Did a lot of research.  How should her last birth have been handled?  How do your handle hemorrhaging? Can you use Pitocin? Under what circumstances. What do you do if...? and found a midwife she loved even if in involved an hour ride to the midwife's office. 

My grandson was born around 3 PM.  Because of past history, pitocin was given after birth, no hemorrhaging. Labor started that morning.  9 lb 4 oz.  Very healthy, sucking on his fingers, eyes open.  Mom got to hold her new baby right away, nurse him, etc.  Bonding time with family.

Would I recommend birth of a baby at home without a good midwife?  No.  Don't "accidentally" have a baby at home.  Pre-natal care checks many of the things MD's check. Reassuring to have someone knowledgeable and check the baby and make sure things are going well.  Trick is finding a good midwife.  And a good midwife while take you to the hospital if needed.

Not all hospitals, doctors are accepting of midwifes.  You must have messed up, done something wrong if the laboring mom has to come in. Other hospitals work well with midwives.

Talking with one of my friends, she didn't realize the amount of training a good midwife has.  The assistant who traveled with this midwife has finished her schooling, in her training phase, part of that is being present for 100 births with increasing responsibilities.  (100 is what I heard, seems like a lot, it would take time to finish that phase of her training.)  More experience than most doctors have before delivering babies.

As the midwife was training the intern and educating us, she spread out the placenta and explained what to look for, to check for missing pieces, etc.  Now we do know that placenta can be used to reduce hemorrhaging and other things if someone wanted to go that route.  Some people make a cast of the placenta, did we want to do that?  Another thing I hadn't heard of was to plant a tree in the baby's honor, planting the placenta with the tree.  My daughter-in-law choose that option.   

keebler:
Congratulations to all the family.

Aniera:
Those are some great stories to hear! We (well more like me) chickened out for our first baby that is due in March and decided to go with a birth center than a full blown home birth since we are about 20 to 30 minutes from a hospital. Maybe for another birth we will try home birth though, with of course the right conditions like your daughter-in-law. We are really excited about the birth center though, it really feels like home with a lovely large bath and bathroom, an access to a kitchen, and all that is staffed by midwives. Definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive compared to just a regular hospital setting with no midwives.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Aniera on January 13, 2015, 12:59:11 PM ---Those are some great stories to hear! We (well more like me) chickened out for our first baby that is due in March and decided to go with a birth center than a full blown home birth since we are about 20 to 30 minutes from a hospital. Maybe for another birth we will try home birth though, with of course the right conditions like your daughter-in-law. We are really excited about the birth center though, it really feels like home with a lovely large bath and bathroom, an access to a kitchen, and all that is staffed by midwives. Definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive compared to just a regular hospital setting with no midwives.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I did that with my first, and after hard labor seatbelted into the front seat of the car, stuck in rush hour traffic on the freeway, I did have the other 2 at home. But, I likely never would have had the confidence without the birth center (which was a converted house, no more than one or two births at a time)

Morning Sunshine:
I hemorrhaged pretty bad with my first.  Most likely cause - low iron.  I had low iron in all five, but my first midwife did not tell me the potential problems from low iron.  My next one did and she made sure I was taking supplements and whatever to bring it up to an acceptable (if still on the low end) level.  I did not hemorrhage again....

oh, and Happy baby to you and the parents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version