Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Jon1967

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Vacuum Sealer
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Been talking to my dad and a friend on Vacuum Sealer.  I know Jack reccomended one I think from Cabela's.  Anyone drop the name?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Vacuum Sealer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »

Only one I'm familiar with is one model of FoodSaver, which I don't recommend.
Newer may be better, I don't know.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »
Only one I'm familiar with is one model of FoodSaver, which I don't recommend.
Newer may be better, I don't know.

I've had a foodsaver for many years (more than 10) and it continues to work like a champ. However, if you store it in the closed position, you will not be happy with it. My mom had one that she stored improperly and it only lasted a year or so.

Jack used to have interviews with Tammy from Dehydrate2store.com and maybe that is what you are thinking of. She recommends this vacuum sealer: https://smile.amazon.com/Weston-Pro-2300-Commercial-Stainless-65-0201/dp/B001GP81R2/

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
 8)

Good looking stainless unit. Wonder if it has a hose attachment. I didn't see one, or I missed it

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 05:45:06 PM »
I use the handheld Freshsaver unit and the Food Saver vacuum seal bags. The bags are reusable just wash them out. Bags come it quart and gallon sizes. The unit is battery operated. Rechargeable.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
I've wondered about those Red. Do they have the vac hose attach hole?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 03:04:36 AM »
Yes there are adapters made to use them with the jar sealer things though you don't need them for that. I have an adapter hose. Might cost less elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Accessory-Hose-FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer-for-TILIA-Canning-Jar-Canisters/124313866612?hash=item1cf1af1174:g:ZGUAAOSwwdFfQXCd

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:58:24 AM »
I have a hose.
Looks like the sealer has a tip in the end. Does it come with it or is it removable?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
Yes it has a removable "cup" on the end. It is supposed to be for catching and powdered or liquid jar contents that might get sucked up. The vacuum port in the device is not inline with the port in the cup. Also the cup has a rubber like material on the end that will seal against the jar adapters so you don't need to use a hose. The hose with two male ends will not fit into the device, needs a plain cut hose. The cup will accept the hose with two male ends. I was debating about getting a countertop sealer at all due to space requirements and amount of use. Found the handheld device, far less expensive, jumped on it. Works well for me. When I want to use it I plug it in for charging the night before. You can leave it plugged in while using but the charger will not operate the device if the device battery is dead, therefore overnight charging first. Check Amazon and WM for "Foodsaver Freshsaver vacuum bags". I think Amazon is cheaper at least was. I buy 2 20 pks. of gallon size and 2 18 pks. of quart size. I've got a lot of bags to wash right now and a lot in the freezer. Several pks of quarts and at least 1 pk. of gallons unused. :facepalm:

Using it is easy. Fill bag, squeeze out air and zip shut. Freeze it until firm and vacuum. Keeps from squeezing liquid from contents when you vacuum unfrozen. Probably much like using the countertop sealer.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 10:19:14 AM »
Sounds great. Thanks. I've looked at them, but didn't know if a hose would go on.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »
I really like the hose and lid attachments for vacuum sealing in jars for storage... I also have a canister (somewhere not yet unpacked) that works great for non-standard jars and lids.