Author Topic: Augason Farms Corn Chowder Soup Mix  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Augason Farms Corn Chowder Soup Mix
« on: April 04, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
Augason Farms Corn Chowder Soup Mix  in  4 sealed super can #10 can with 4 Mylar packets.While I am a man of very simple tastes,and "CHOWDER" was never a part of my vocabulary...I can tell you that this is CORN SOUP and has a very rich and creamy base with good flavor,though it (to me) begs to have a load of rice added to it as the corn within the mix would be of such small quantity to just make you mad. The calories and great flavor ,sort of like creame style corn...of which I am very familiar can make for a hearty meal or drink with good calorie count as we eat for calories and this 'soup' thickens nicely after about 20 t0 25 minutes near a fire ...simmer though not boiling as boiling can BURN it and make for poor taste.

Dog enjoyed the rich flavor of this chowder too and even polished the pot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4QBK9R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Augason Farms Corn Chowder Soup Mix
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
What would be ideal for LTS, is some kind of dehydrated "roux".  The challenge is storing fats like oil or butter. 
From there you could add whatever dehydrated veggies, like corn, onions or even a few beans.  One you have the creamy soup base it could be combined with pasta (think mac and cheese or alfredo), or become the base for a chowder.

Dried pasta already stores quite well and this seems like a good pairing.

The idea of long term soup mix is a little odd, as I often make soups from left over ingredients in the kitchen.
I'd rather have LTS cans of some base ingredients, though a couple of these cans might be worth keeping.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »
  I also have a favorite ...sausage gravy and biscuits.....it is a high calorie,good tasting,High Carbohydrate option that is a 'feel good' type food for me.

Most 'emergency' type foods will be HIGH Carbohydrate and high calorie as that is the FUEL we need and most of us could live a long time on such simple fare as a bag of rice.....

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:39 AM »
What would be ideal for LTS, is some kind of dehydrated "roux".  The challenge is storing fats like oil or butter. 

Not trying to highjack your thread Carl just noting that dry roux is readily available and doesn't contain or need any fat. Also it is easily made.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:58:52 AM »
Not trying to highjack your thread Carl just noting that dry roux is readily available and doesn't contain or need any fat. Also it is easily made.

I find you are not Hijacking as your comment is right in line with calorie dense,easily prepared,food stuff for emergency type use .

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 05:25:09 AM »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
I know there are packs of instant gravy, and roux like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Instant-Roux-Ounces/dp/B001EBPIDS

But I have yet to find any that are actually long term in the context of Mountain House or Augason Farms that are 10-20 years.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
This has not fat in it and does not need to be refrigerated after opening. If I were concerned about the shelf life I'd probably put O2 absorber in it and a metal lid and band. If that doesn't fit the jar I'd put the dry roux in a pint canning jar. Just my 0.02.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »
Cool.  I have a set of mylar bags and o2 absorbers.  I use my wife's flat iron (for ladies hair) and it works great for rice.
I found if I toss in the freezer for a day, that accelerates the vacuum effect of the o2 absorber in the sealed bag.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
I'd imagine you could have a stored roux in the form of ghee and flour. But I also bet one could jury rig one in a pinch with Jiffy muffin mix. That stuff can do anything.

I make biscuits and gravy frequently. It's one of my favorite foods. Right up there with eggs benedict for my favorite breakfast.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
  You can live off of flour and yet many pass it by as useless.