Author Topic: Mountain House ...Pilot Crackers  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Mountain House ...Pilot Crackers
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
  Bread,or crackers makes for a very stable calorie source that will keep you alive in time of need. The can comes sealed and good for 30 years of water tight,air tight,floating ,storage...about SIXTY large diameter crackers with a RITZ CRACKER though milder taste ...slightly sweet and SIXTY CALORIES EACH CRACKER that are good with soups or as 'side bread' with meals. While they store and taste really great...the cost for calories can be a bit high and I usually only buy when near to $12-$14 dollars a can as $20 is way too much for my budget. The crackers are well packages and rarely  broken also as they are LOW SALT ,they don't make you thirsty when you eat them. Find then closer to $10 and they are good ,long term storage at a budgetary price ...also ...these are NOT TOUGH to chew...about the consistency of factory made cookies and sweet enough (just a hint) to eat any time.  And YES,my dog will eat them too.

In the past I have made meals that I thought were pretty good and yet my dog would politely refuse to eat ,so she may be a better judge of Long term foods than my taste buds and this is why I include her. The Pilot Crackers I test here were in excess of 15 years in storage and were light ,sweet,and crisp.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Pilot-Crackers-Can/dp/B000M7V1F4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522679206&sr=8-1&keywords=pilot+crackers

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Mountain House ...Pilot Crackers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
Good to know. Thanks for the report.
We only have one can, about a year old.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the update, I have a few cans but have never tried them

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »
  While they taste GREAT, I also feel they should be kept sealed so as to maintain their 'collector' value. I just am blessed with the community BOL rotation and thought it high time that someone taste test a bit...more to follow.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
 8) Taste test review would be great.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »
8) Taste test review would be great.

I am a man of simple tastes and while I may not use words like 'succulent'  I can tell you what foods will give calories and not make you sick...me and dog enjoy a somewhat weird relationship as I have indeed taught her to make grill cheese sandwiches ...man,I have too much time on my hands.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »
  I need to up date my long term foods. Can't to hear what you have to say about the black bean burgers.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 12:22:37 AM »
I am vegetarian, and a good, inexpensive veggie burger is hard to find even outside of LTS, this would be a good price for day to day use, if it tastes good

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:26:41 AM »
I've looked at the pilot crackers several times, just can't bring myself to spring for them, even at $10.

Those black bean patties look good and the price seems reasonable.

As for 30yr. storage or even 20yrs I very much doubt I'll be around then so........ meh, maybe 20.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 03:40:49 AM »
I've looked at the pilot crackers several times, just can't bring myself to spring for them, even at $10.

As for 30yr. storage or even 20yrs I very much doubt I'll be around then so........ meh, maybe 20.

My Black Bean meat substitute will arrive in a few days as I must access the BOL and dig among the many pallets of rotated out #10 cans to get a few more 'test' cans for my home kitchen as much depends on help from other members of the BOL for labor in my current condition.My thoughts before actual testing of the vegetarian meats is that I will treat them as very dry meat and form patties with added egg and then scorch the product for testure and taste because just boiling leaves the product without much interesting taste or texture options.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 07:59:01 AM »

Seems I've saved it somewhere, but I ran across a recipe for making and storing crackers.
So, spend a lot of time makin em, or buy em. Hmmmm