Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Encrypted MURS Voice Communications?

<< < (2/11) > >>

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: ejsandstrom on February 25, 2009, 06:25:17 AM ---Just my .02

First great idea. I don't even own any radios due to no COMSEC. I would buy these in a heart beat.

Now my suggestion.

First don't build it into a headset. Make it modular. So say if you had a headset in your bike helmet, a throat mic, and maybe one other. Not only that but headsets break and I could have 2 or 3 back ups. If the battery goes dead, you could pull the additional piece out of the mix and still have comms. A secondary piece would also allow a larger battery. My bluetooth is great but it goes dead quick. The USB recharge is great. A small solar panel could recharge it fairly easily.

Second, make it AES. Don't worry about export. I say it for this reason. Say you export to the UK and a guy buys 10 and ships them to Asscrackastan, and they get used by some bad guys to carry out an attack. I would feel like shit. And realistically what are your projected international sales?

--- End quote ---

ejsandstrom,

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement.  I agree about the modular concept, and it would make it even easier for me.  I could offer it packaged with a cheapie headset, but if someone wanted a throat mic or whatever, it work work with that, too.

I will include a second power jack, besides USB, to be able to recharge it from vehicle DC, solar, or whatever.

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: The Professor on February 25, 2009, 02:58:33 PM ---I'd have to agree with the modularity suggestion.

Even if the microphone is waterproof/shockproof, the possibility of it getting damaged is great.

Not to mention, that I, personally, don't much care for headsets.

My commo gear is set up as a throat mic or in-ear mike with remote PTT.  This feels better when you're wearing it a long time and doesn't interfere with my cheek-to-stock weld.

Not to mention, the ability to swap from between a handheld and vehicle-mounted radio would be KILLER!

If you came up with such a contraption, I'd pay twice the price!

The Professor.

--- End quote ---

Hi Professor,

Modular it is, then.  And you would be able to swap it, given the proper connectors/adapters with a vehicle-mounted radio.

Thanks for the enthusiasm.  Maybe I should consider a higher price :-)  Nah, just kidding.  I know that a lot of survival types have limited budgets, and I want it to be something everyone could use for OPSEC.

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on February 24, 2009, 05:59:36 PM ---
So, please chime in and tell me what you think of the product I am thinking of developing in the next few months:

The OPSEC Encrypted radio [dongle] for MURS and FRS radio

--- End quote ---

Okay, guys, thanks for the feedback so far, but I have some more questions:

1.  If the voice was clear, would cell-phone quality audio be acceptable (kind of "digital-sounding")?
2.  Would it be useful to have an "CALL" or "ALERT" button that would "ping" the other stations in your encrypted comm net?
3.  Would it be useful to be able to do encrypted messaging with the other members of your net by plugging the encryption module into the USB port of a laptop?
4.  What kind of battery life is reasonable?
5.  Do you think the USB-rechargable internal battery is a good idea, or should the thing run off something replaceable, like an "AA" cell?
6.  Would it be useful to have button(s) to switch between two (or more) encryption key numbers, to allow for multiple nets or to "kill" compromised radios?

Your thoughts, please, survival mavens...

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on February 25, 2009, 07:04:54 PM ---Okay, guys, thanks for the feedback so far, but I have some more questions:

1.  If the voice was clear, would cell-phone quality audio be acceptable (kind of "digital-sounding")?
2.  Would it be useful to have an "CALL" or "ALERT" button that would "ping" the other stations in your encrypted comm net?
3.  Would it be useful to be able to do encrypted messaging with the other members of your net by plugging the encryption module into the USB port of a laptop?
5.  Do you think the USB-rechargable internal battery is a good idea, or should the thing run off something replaceable, like an "AA" cell?
6.  Would it be useful to have button(s) to switch between two (or more) encryption key numbers, to allow for multiple nets or to "kill" compromised radios?

--- End quote ---

I know absolutely nothing about radio stuff, but TW (my husband) is interested in getting MURS radios, so I'm gonna have to throw in my 2 cents here.

1. How much more expensive would it be to have better than cell phone quality audio?  Cell phone quality isn't all that great, and I'd like to feel absolutely secure that I understand everything that is being said to me over the radio.

2. Yes, it would be extremely useful (at least for those of us who are used to Nextel type radios) to have a ping button.

3. I'm gonna leave that one alone, because I have absolutely no idea.  My understanding of encryption ends where my GPG program ends. :D

4. I would feel really good knowing that my radio was going to last at least 12 hours at full strength.  That way, I could replace the batteries every night, and again every morning (if it comes to needing the radio to be on constantly)

5. Please please please please PLEASE make it run off of something I can use my Solio to recharge.  If I'm hiking my butt home, because the freeways are too clogged to drive on, and therefore have absolutely no way to use a laptop for very long, I will thank you a thousand times over, when I'm able to recharge the batteries WHILE I'm hiking home.

PS - what's an "in ear mike"?  Is that like what the secret service dudes are always using, with the little coily thingie coming out of their ear?

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on February 25, 2009, 07:04:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on February 24, 2009, 05:59:36 PM ---
So, please chime in and tell me what you think of the product I am thinking of developing in the next few months:

The OPSEC Encrypted radio [dongle] for MURS and FRS radio

--- End quote ---

Okay, guys, thanks for the feedback so far, but I have some more questions:

--- End quote ---

1.  Yes, it would be fine. 
2.  Yes, pinging would definitely be a plus.
3.  Yes, except I don't have laptop.
4.  Cellphone time length with the option to buy extra batteries.  Obviously longer is better...
5.  External rechargeable, like some HT's currently have with a AA battery module as an add on.  More choices are better...amiright?
6.  Yes, it would be useful to be able to "customize" one's encryption.  Being able to kill a compromised radio would be a big plus as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version