Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

GMRS vs MURS

<< < (9/9)

nelson96:
There's no larger event in my area than hunting camp, where people are using radio.  I've still not had a problem finding a channel that is open enough to communicate to my party.  The only problem I have with GMRS is being able to cover long distances in mountainous terrain and dense canopy.

libertydefense:
Hi, I emailed Rob of murs-radio, years ago I bought several tytuvf and tx888 from Rob...both do the scrambler.

I've been googling around looking for scramble capable radio.

I own a ft60, tyt, mobile unit.

but, I'd like to outfit my kids with some radios that are scamble/voice inversion capable.

please advise

my requirements for a radio
1) two freq monitoring
2) scramble codes
3) kenwood headset (two pin)
4) aa/aaa battery shell for backup
5) listen in on FM radio (common freq)
6) weather/dust/drop resistant
7) program able - chirp or otherwise

tia,

Liberty

Soladaddy:

--- Quote from: libertydefense on October 15, 2015, 03:50:43 PM ---Hi, I emailed Rob of murs-radio, years ago I bought several tytuvf and tx888 from Rob...both do the scrambler.

I've been googling around looking for scramble capable radio.

I own a ft60, tyt, mobile unit.

but, I'd like to outfit my kids with some radios that are scamble/voice inversion capable.

please advise

my requirements for a radio
1) two freq monitoring
2) scramble codes
3) kenwood headset (two pin)
4) aa/aaa battery shell for backup
5) listen in on FM radio (common freq)
6) weather/dust/drop resistant
7) program able - chirp or otherwise

tia,

Liberty

--- End quote ---

I'll dust off this thread. The closest thing on the affordable side is the Btech MURS-V1 that will take care of 1, 3, 5, & 7. The only programming options are tone codes.

I've been hashing out this GMRS vs. MURS debate for a while. There is a great info in some of the previous posts. Have been using MURS for 15 years, mainly to have a clear freq to talk to the family at theme parks and camping. Only one time did I ever run across anyone else using MURS and think its a great service if you don't want a large listening audience.  GMRS would be better to contact others. In the end I plan on outfitting the family with both, maybe with the Tera TR-505 that does both, or Btech offerings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version