News > Current Severe Emergency Situations

We just had a tornado rip through 30 minutes ago

<< < (4/4)

Oil Lady:
Internet's down. Power is still on but phone, cable and internet are out. I am "borrowing" someone's Android internet link connection at the moment. (I unexpectedly might lose my connection, btw.)

It seems yesterday's storm was a "super-cell," something we never see here in New England. It qualifies as a super-cell because of two factors. First it's possible that it spawned no less than four separate twisters all concentrated in and around Sprigfield. And second the path of the twister damage stretched for over 20 miles in length. So if it was just one funnel (not yet confirmed if it was one or four), it was a one darned determined funnel that endured far longer than any funnel in all of New England history. If it was 4 separate funnels, a multi-funnel storm cell automaically makes it a super-cell. Again, we never see this around here. The ocassional fluke of a whimp-out F-0 or even F-1 twister might touch down in Massachusetts maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most, and they usually last all of 30 seconds and cut a thin twisty spindly path through a corn field barely 50 feet long and 3 feet wide. The most damage you can usually expect from one of those is it picks on the older trees that were ready to fall anyway. But the storm yesterday threw automobiles across parking lots and flipped trucks on their sides. It flung slate roof tiles like frisbees across the street and embedded those slate tiles into the bricks of adjascent buildings.

"Toto ... I thought we weren't in Kansas anymore."

::ETA::

BTW -- While all this was happening here in Springfield yesterday, there was simultaneously a totally separate storm cell about 30 miles north in the town of Northampton, MA. That storm also sent a funnel down to the ground, but evidently the damage was nowhere near as severe up there as what we had down here. I mention that other cell simpy because I am trying to differntiate between the Northampton funnel and the funnel(s) that we had down here.

rob_ma:
I live a bit further east of Springfield (Brimfield area) and had one touch down just over 1/2 mile from the house. No damage here at home just the minor inconvenience of no power, cell service, or Internet. Got Internet back yesterday and power this morning.

Was pretty good on the preps but what was concerning in the beginning was the travel restrictions. Roads out of town were all blocked by fallen trees and no one was going anywhere. We were trying to find a spot that had cell service so we could call over the the next town to check on relatives. Got a few text messages through after a while.

Listening to the local PD and FD on the scanner (battery powered, of course) was a big help that evening. Lots of information about the damage and what roads were and weren't open.

Driving through the area now is shocking with trees all cut off about 10-15 feet above the ground. Two camp grounds were hit hard. You can see the path of destruction go up and over the hills onto the next area. There was a used car/towing shop that was totally demolished and buried by layers of fallen trees. When you drive by you can't recognize anything on the street. It used to be heavily forested around it but now is just like a field brightly lit by the sun. And a few hundred feet down the road a guy is mowing his lawn like nothing ever happened because there is no damage at all.

- Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version