Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Ammo, Reloading, Bullet Casting, & Ammo Craft

When to buy more tumbling media

(1/3) > >>

CountryRootsCityJob:
I had some cases running through my tumbler the other day and when I woke up, it seemed like maybe there was condensation inside the tumbler and my cases were covered in gray black grime...  I tried to dry out the media in the oven for only a few minutes (somehow it seemed like it could potentially be a very bad idea), but that didn't seem to help.  For now I am going to settle and just think that condensation formed inside and screwed things up... either way, I tossed the media.  I have no clue how old it was, as it was in the tumbler 1-1/2 years back when I received it...

But anywho, how does one go about determining when it is time to toss the media?
~CRCJ

SuperDuty:
I don't have a hard and fast rule about how many times I use the media.  I've not seen the condensation that you mention.  I just dump it when the brass stops coming out nice and shiny.  Maybe 6-8 loads before I replace it.  Since I use Lizard Litter, which is pretty cheap, I don't hesitate to dump it and reload with fresh stuff.

Another tip is to throw dryer sheet pieces in the tumbler.  I have people who use dryer sheets save their used ones for me.  I cut one sheet into fourths and drop them in with each load of brass.  It's amazing how much dirt they attract and I think it keeps the media clean longer.

CountryRootsCityJob:

--- Quote from: SuperDuty on May 04, 2011, 06:52:19 AM ---Another tip is to throw dryer sheet pieces in the tumbler.  I have people who use dryer sheets save their used ones for me.  I cut one sheet into fourths and drop them in with each load of brass.  It's amazing how much dirt they attract and I think it keeps the media clean longer.

--- End quote ---

Hey, that's good, I'll have to give that one a try! +1!

9mmMaster:
When you ask yourself he question it's likely time.

Tips

Walnut shells crushed at a pet supply are much cheaper than media at Cabelas.

If you get tree sap on brass throw it out not in the tumbler.

Don't tumble 9mm 40 or 45 in the same batch.

CPT Morgan:

--- Quote from: 9mmMaster on December 04, 2016, 10:27:25 PM ---Walnut shells crushed at a pet supply are much cheaper than media at Cabelas.

--- End quote ---

Yes...  "Lizard Litter".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version