Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them

<< < (2/54) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
I have dehydrated strawberry slices - they taste like candy!!!  but they are a pain to slice.  I am going to try another method this spring.
I like dehydrated raspberries mmmmm - my husband has them for pure snacking

I like to throw dried berries into pancakes, waffles.  they give the yummy flavor without the added moisture that makes your batter too runny.

hd45hunt:

--- Quote from: SigMan34 on February 09, 2010, 09:41:24 AM ---Wow, that really sounds fantastic! I can't wait to get started! Thanks for the encouragement to JUST DO IT!!!

Can I butt in and ask:  what vacuum sealer do you folks use? I have to get one and just wonder.

--- End quote ---

I'm using a Foodsaver by Tilia.  10 years and not a hiccup.  Also recently got the jarsaver attachments and works awesome for vacuum sealing reg and wide mouth canning jars.  They also offer large vacuum canisters which I am using to vacuum regular store bought jars with the "pop" lids.  There was a great youtube video on using the jars, but I can't find it anymore.  Hope this helps.

MaddoginMass:
I'm also using a Food Saver....probably been about 3 years now and now problems.  One thing is to keep expenses down is to buy the bags in bulk.  I actually buy the rolls instead of the bags.  I recently ordered from someone on Ebay that I thought had a good price on a 50' roll of 8x11.

I dehydrating potatoes right now.  First time for them.  Cut them in 1/2" cubes and sprayed them with lemon juice to keep them from turning dark.  I'm expecting that they will take quite awhile to dehydrate since they are cubes.

HelenWheels:

--- Quote from: MaddoginMass on February 10, 2010, 01:28:20 PM ---I dehydrating potatoes right now.  First time for them.  Cut them in 1/2" cubes and sprayed them with lemon juice to keep them from turning dark.  I'm expecting that they will take quite awhile to dehydrate since they are cubes.

--- End quote ---

Maddog, you may run into a problem with your potatoes turning black when drying if you don't blanch them first. My research has turned up that blanching is really the only way to keep them from turning black when they dry.

Hope this helps.

HW

MaddoginMass:
Oops...I also should have said I blanched them.....:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version