Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them

(1/54) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
This weekend I took a small baggy of dried mushrooms and dried red peppers to a family function (3 days of continuous eating..... ba-ad idea), and they came in all sorts of handy, so I thought I would share what was done with them, and then ask you to do the same.  So, if you have dehydrated something, tell us here, and then tell us how you used them.

--------------

I get my produce mostly from something called Bountiful Baskets (if you are in the Utah/Arizona area, you might want to check them out), and for $15 I get 2 small laundry baskets of produce.  Most of the time it is stuff we eat - bananas, potatoes, etc.  Sometimes however, we get things no one in my house will eat: mushrooms, peppers, 8 onions (1-2, yeah, we would eat), etc.  So I have been drying them.

Mushrooms: slice and dry.  when done, my in-laws have enjoyed them on pizza and in salad (still dry).  My new BIL threw the remainder into a pot for stew, and they re-hydrated nicely.  I have been throwing them in my coffee grinder for mushroom powder and sneaking it into soups and stews in powdered form - no one can tell, and we get some of the nutrients of mushrooms and a bit of the flavor.

Peppers: slice and dry.  when done, my in-laws have enjoyed them on pizza and in salad (still dry).  My new BIL threw the remainder into a pot for stew, and they re-hydrated nicely - in fact, he said that they were getting so big he threw in a lot less than he had been planning on.  I am not a pepper fan, but I broke some into tiny pieces and threw them on my salad for a sweet crunch.  It was almost like the sugars were concentrated, so they were sweeter than I find fresh peppers.

Lemon/orange peels: I peeled my organic lemons and oranges, trying to get only the colored parts, and dehydrated those.  when dry - about 6 hours - I threw them into the blender and made powder.  I now have orange and lemon zest for recipes.

--------------

your turn - what have you been dehydrating recently?

MaddoginMass:
I've just started dehydrating in the past month or so....it is great.  I love how much food you can store in a small space.  I've been using canning jars so far, but am now getting to the point of vacuum packing.  So far I have dehydrated:

corn - mainly used in soup/stew
mushrooms - soup/stew and pizza
beans - soup/stew
carrots - haven't used them yet but probably soup/stew
green peppers - soup/stew
bananas - eaten plain and on cereal
strawberries - eaten plain and on cereal
jerky - eaten plain

The best thing, my wife sees the value of it not just in food storage but in convenience.  We never used to have mushrooms around, now we just reach up into the cabinet and grab the jar whenever we need some.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: MaddoginMass on February 09, 2010, 07:59:52 AM ---I've just started dehydrating in the past month or so....it is great.  I love how much food you can store in a small space.  I've been using canning jars so far, but am now getting to the point of vacuum packing.  So far I have dehydrated:

The best thing, my wife sees the value of it not just in food storage but in convenience.  We never used to have mushrooms around, now we just reach up into the cabinet and grab the jar whenever we need some.

--- End quote ---

I have to agree - the convenience is great.  I never have mushrooms in the house either, but my in-laws like them on homemade pizza.  Now they get their favorite toppings whenever they come up.

SigMan34:
Wow, that really sounds fantastic! I can't wait to get started! Thanks for the encouragement to JUST DO IT!!!

Can I butt in and ask:  what vacuum sealer do you folks use? I have to get one and just wonder.

Herbalpagan:
Like many of you, I'm finding that with dehydrating, I can ctually have some of the things that aren't popular around our house (mushrooms and onions).
I dehydrated a lot this year, as it was my first year with my Excalibur. I did about half my green bean harvest, all the peppers (bell and hot) mostly because we got blight and I didn't have the tomatoes to make salsa with the peppers. I only did about 20 pounds of taters (bought), but went to town on things like spinach (great in soups and dips), corn, carrots etc.
We ate well from the garden, but I purchased frozen veg on sale and dehydrated that.

So far, I'm using the dehydrated mostly in stews and casseroles. Lots of slow cooking recipes. I have used the dehydrated potatoes as hash browns and fried potatoes...they were FANTASTIC!
I'm having a hard time remembering to rehydrate in time for dinner though! lol I guess it's something I just have to get used to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version