Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Talking Whisk(e)y

<< < (10/13) > >>

David in MN:

--- Quote from: cannonball on September 05, 2018, 09:39:16 AM ---I have been really impressed with everything that High West has put out. Bourbon our of Utah, who'd a thunk...

For Scotch I like Johnny Walker Double Black

--- End quote ---

Don't have High West around here but I do keep a bottle of either Black or Double Black at all times. In truth I'm hard pressed to choose a favorite because both are great. I will say that Double Black is the gateway to Islay.

Serendipity struck at Costco. Found a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky. I actually like Japanese whisky so this is a good find. Haven't tasted yet but I cracked the bottle for a smell. Smells like rum.... Dad used to get Suntory Yamazaki 18 for special days and I grew a fondness for Japanese made whisky. If you ever feel stifled that Scotch is 100% barley and Bourbon is 100% new oak cask try Japanese spirits. They do whatever grain bill they want and age as they want. No rules, just great whisky.

David in MN:
Nikka Coffey is definitely an oddball. I waited to try it a couple times and to be frank it's a little too far on the rum spectrum for me. Not that it's bad or undrinkable. I actually really enjjoyed the softness of the grain and found just a hint of oak bitterness. It's awesome for a beginner and if you're looking for an easy dram of something out of left field try it. A fellow whiskey snob calls it "bourbon aged like Scotch". Apt. If you like "sweet" look no further.

Had another interesting beginner Scotch this weekend courtesy of family. Monkey Shoulder is a blended Scotch that noses of butter and caramel and ttastes of heather honey. If you like Highland Scotch (and I generally do not) at $30 a bottle it's very solid and a good introductory whisky. It's very light and clean if you like that sort of thing. For the price point in a blend I think I'd still take a Johnnie Walker Black (or Double Black) but I could see a fan of lighter Scotches really enjoying it. Upon first sip I proclaimed Balvenie. I was, upon searching, part correct. Balvenie, Glenfiddich, and Kininvie are the source for the blend. If that sounds palatable to you, I do not think you'll be disappointed.

cannonball:
I haven't had a scotch in about a year (have been drinking bourbon). I had this post in my head as I went to pour a drink last night and decided to grab the double black. On the first sip the sweet, smoky, tobacco flavors were almost too much. Not bad, just different from the ryes and bourbons I had become used to.

Chemsoldier:
I am drinking a Brandy Old Fashioned at the moment. Is that big in MN? It is in WI.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on September 19, 2018, 07:51:21 PM ---I am drinking a Brandy Old Fashioned at the moment. Is that big in MN? It is in WI.

--- End quote ---

Nope. That is straight up Sconnie. I haven't had one of those in probably 15 years. I remember my parents preparing for cocktail parties by peeling a dozen oranges (because us classy folk like an orange peel in the glass). A brandy old fashioned sweet is like THE drink of the corner bar in Wisconsin.

Oh I wish I could convey how much I'm laughing. It reminds me of my great aunt in Chicago who always did a punch of vodka, ginger ale, and sherbet. And always grasshoppers after dinner. I remember listening to my uncles talk about sneaking the punch while me and my cousins were sneaking the punch!

I more took to my grandparents who were on both sides bourbon drinkers. But man, does a brandy old fashioned take me back to my early days. I mean that's like my dad and his veteran buddies playing cards. They used to make me a Shirley Temple in the highball glass and I thought I was cool. That's a reaal throwback.

I appreciate the memory hole. That brings me back. I really need to hit up church and light a few candles. I miss those days and those people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version