Author Topic: handheald question  (Read 4207 times)

Offline roperigger

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
handheald question
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
What is the avrage distance on a ham handheld?

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: handheald question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »
The average distance is... 'it depends'.  Primarily it depends on terrain as it's mostly line of sight, assuming you're not hitting a repeater.  So that could be a mile or it could be several miles.  If you're at the top of a peak with a good antenna looking across clear terrain, it could be many miles!

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »
Also depends on the frequency band, output power, and antenna on the radio.

But in most every circumstance, in simplex it would be better than FRS or GPRS.

~TG

Offline roperigger

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
My situation is that I work ac cross the Columbia river in Oregon my home and wife are in washington ac cross the river. So. I am trying to figure out the best way to com unicat with her in case of a earth quake, bridges. Out and I can't get home. She is on a hill from me at work. It is not quite a clear line of sight and its around 5. Miles as the crow fly. Any ideas? Thanks for the impute.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
Sure, a cheap solution that gives the widest area of coverage is to get your ham licenses, two handhelds, and use a local repeater.

~TG

Offline roperigger

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
Thanks we will Work On getting our licences. Could u re comend a good handheld radio.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
Thanks we will Work On getting our licences. Could u re comend a good handheld radio.

No, not really. It depends on your individual needs and local repeaters to a certain extent. 

I have a pair of Wouxun KG-UV6D's and an older Kenwood. The Kenwood programs easily and logically, but is larger with poorer battery life. The Wouxun's are small, cheap, hold 200 memories, work 2 bands plus have FM radio reception.  But they are a bugger to program on the fly.

The Beofang radios (same Chinese parent mfg) are a bit simpler, smaller, and cheaper.  But some of those have backwards antenna connectors, FWIW.

Back in my VFD/EMS/Business radio days, I carried a Bendix-King programable handheld.  A sister FHSS model of those is still used by the military today.  It was my favorite for years.  Although most were not "on-the-fly" field programmable, mine was special.  Now days, an "opened up" user programable radio is the norm.

~TG

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
  The rough answer is 1 mile per watt with a long rubber duck (antenna). Stubby ducks are half that. The nice thing is at the base you could put up an antenna on the roof of the house and more then double that range. I have friends who hit the local repeater from 20 miles away with a 5 watt hand held and a 5/8 wave mobile mounted antenna.  73

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »
My situation is that I work ac cross the Columbia river in Oregon my home and wife are in washington ac cross the river. So. I am trying to figure out the best way to com unicat with her in case of a earth quake, bridges. Out and I can't get home. She is on a hill from me at work. It is not quite a clear line of sight and its around 5. Miles as the crow fly. Any ideas? Thanks for the impute.

You pay double taxes?

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »
There are a Plethora of 'correct answers' . 

If you and your bride are genuinely interested in getting your ticket, then forge ahead-that's really where you should start!  Also, snoop around and see if there is a local club you can participate in to learn and hone the needed skills!
http://www.arrl.org/clubs 

he initial test is really not that tough, and with a little effort you both could be utilizing the local repeater systems in your area.

If you are really serious about communicating over the above distances, then once licensed I'd also look into a Mobile/Base rig that would give you more power and a  greater chance of getting the signal home if and when the repeaters were unavailable.

This Kenwood 2m Mobile/Base is an Excellent Value and a Great Performer (I know, I own one)
http://www.mtcradio.com/kenwood-tm-281a-144-mhz-mobile-with-free-shipping/

TV and movies have spoiled us all in regards to wireless comms in an emergency.  While I own a handful of HT radios, I very rarely use them.  Whether my use is typical is yet to be determined, but my mobile and base radios get far more use than my talkies ever do.  That said, I keep them close just in case and see them as a mandatory part of my preps.

Here is a good thread that may help you along the way!
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28730.msg492735#msg492735

Good Luck!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
What is the avrage distance on a ham handheld?

Three to SIX miles to another HT ,or mobile.
Four to TEN miles to base antenna at 30 feet.
SIX to TWENTY miles to repeater at 250 feet or more high

Height above terrain gets more range as I talked simplex with an HT over 80 miles to an aircraft ,who also had an HT at 6000 feet.