Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airgun Board

Something To Consider: A Suppressed .22LR over Air Rifle

(1/9) > >>

AGT Tactical:
After looking at a variety of very good German air rifles, I decided it made more sense to buy a suppressed .22LR.  .22 ammo is about a common as you can find, it a very versatile and reliable cartridge, and has much great killing power than an air rifle for about the same noise level when suppressed.  Bought two of the HK licensed, Walther built HK416 in .22LR.  Quality is astonishing.  They are nearly identical to our (wife and I) HK MR556's.  Accuracy and reliability appears to be as good or better than my old Ruger 10/22.  Of course, they cost quite a bit more, so that's to be expected.  Its a good setup, as all our rifles are nearly identical in terms of ergonomics and function (2x HK416 .22LR, 2x HK556, 2xHK762).  Plus all my accessories...slings, sling mounts, sights, lights, optics, optics mounts, etc. all work on all 6 rifles, and some parts are interchangeable on all 6  too (rear stock, fixed sights, etc.).  One of the attractions of this gun, besides the above, was the ease of installing a suppressor.  Removed the flash hider, screwed on a  small 1/2" long adapter, and installed an AAC suppressor.  Great for our backyard squirrels, and much better than my old pellet rifle for quiet shooting.  Functions flawlessly on Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 1080 fps.  Have yet to have a missfeed.  Magazine quality is vastly superior to any extended mag I've ever owned for my 10/22.  Not bashing that gun...I'll love the old Ruger...just being honest.  Compare the mags sometime...you'll see what I mean.  I bought the 20 round mag (vice the 30), as its the same size as standard AR mags, so it is the same ergonomically and fits our standard AR pouches.  The 30 rounder is too long for prone shooting.  Hope this helps someone who's thinking about this .22.   I don't work for HK, nor do we sell any rifles (we primarily sell Avon gas masks and optics).     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0scB_NpE4 

RPZ:
To me about the only thing air rifles have over a good .22 is economy. It is possible to buy a very accurate air rifle for a reasonable amount of money, and one can do a great deal of shooting for very little money. But for small game hunting a .22 rifle is light to carry, economical enough, and except for the higher powered air weapons has the advantage of power and range.

AGT Tactical:

--- Quote from: RPZ on June 21, 2012, 05:54:10 AM ---To me about the only thing air rifles have over a good .22 is economy. It is possible to buy a very accurate air rifle for a reasonable amount of money, and one can do a great deal of shooting for very little money. But for small game hunting a .22 rifle is light to carry, economical enough, and except for the higher powered air weapons has the advantage of power and range.

--- End quote ---

That is very true! 

TexasGirl:

--- Quote from: RPZ on June 21, 2012, 05:54:10 AM ---To me about the only thing air rifles have over a good .22 is economy. It is possible to buy a very accurate air rifle for a reasonable amount of money, and one can do a great deal of shooting for very little money. But for small game hunting a .22 rifle is light to carry, economical enough, and except for the higher powered air weapons has the advantage of power and range.

--- End quote ---

I see a different angle on the air rifles.  A friend of mine lives in the city and has a tremendous squirrel problem (they keep chewing into the house).  Her husband actually sits out in the front yard with a .22 pellet gun and shoots them, he may be approaching #200 now.  Because they are in the city, he could not discharge a .22LR with the firearms ordinance, but the air rifle is not considered a firearm.

For them, the air rifle has a "tactical" advantage.

~TG

RPZ:
Oooops; forgot poor city dwellers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version