Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Are black powder rifles/pistols sustainable?

<< < (9/11) > >>

TexDaddy:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on September 17, 2014, 04:01:05 PM ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYPdNAp9Q0

--- End quote ---
That was a lot of effort for one cartridge.

Carl:
Matches will be easy to get after the end of the world hits the fan.   ::)

Mortblanc:

--- Quote from: Knecht on September 17, 2014, 04:45:00 PM ---I was wondering if it's worth the work and investment to re-bore one of those cheap Ardesa (Traditions) inline muzzleloading rifles for smooth bore. Would be much more versatile, just like the old muskets, while keeping the reliable W209 percussion system and quite care-free stock and ramrod. I have the short Tracker model and like it, just don't think the rifling makes too much difference in accuracy at the distance I'd feel sure using it to hunt. That being said, I can always go primitive with just my old 18mm smoothbore wheellock. But the inlines are so cheap and plentiful and reliable and hard to break...why not try "musketize"one.

--- End quote ---

No real need to re-bore, the traditions rifling is so shallow it will have little influence and most the guns you find in used condition have been neglected to the point that the rifling is rusted out completely anyway.

If the bore is rough just find a 13mm reamer and run it down the tube.  You might have to weld a section of round stock to the reamer to reach the bottom of the barrel.

On the American frontier there were a lot of rifles that were used for decades and "freshed out" so many times they could no longer have new rifling cut into the barrels, they would be reamed smooth and used for either shot or single ball.  Many of those beautiful "Kentucky rifles" you see in the historic books are actually smoothbores for this reason.

The gunsmiths on the frontier often kept very good records and one will find that they made smoothbores, or "smoothrifles" as they called them, at a rate of 4 smoothrifles to 1 rifled gun.

joeinwv:
Get a NEF / HR 45-70 and then ream it to 45-120 - the extra case capacity will help greatly with blackpowder cartridges. Lots of people do this for silouette shooting. Though at 500+ yards they do have quite a rainbow in trajectory.

Read up on revolutionary war guns - the 70cal smooth bore was fast to load but garbage for accuracy. Rifling is a huge advantage and was a reason armories were major targets - to get rifles.

When you see any renenactors - they will talk about musket accuracy, but in practice can't hit a man sized target at past 50 yards.

Carl:

--- Quote from: joeinwv on September 17, 2014, 05:53:52 PM ---Get a NEF / HR 45-70 and then ream it to 45-120 - the extra case capacity will help greatly with blackpowder cartridges. Lots of people do this for silouette shooting. Though at 500+ yards they do have quite a rainbow in trajectory.

Read up on revolutionary war guns - the 70cal smooth bore was fast to load but garbage for accuracy. Rifling is a huge advantage and was a reason armories were major targets - to get rifles.

When you see any renenactors - they will talk about musket accuracy, but in practice can't hit a man sized target at past 50 yards.

--- End quote ---

:jaw-drop:  The QUIGLY...an experimental gun with an experimental ammo ...we're not worthy, we're not worthy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version