Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

M.O.V.E.!

<< < (2/4) > >>

James Yeager:
Taylor3006,

I simply wrote the article to raise awareness for "shooters" who think medicine is only a medic's job. We know it isn't! It is just that an article cannot contain all things and that I had to speak in general terms. Not even a book or volume of books could contain all the info we know about trauma care.

Yes pinning the tongue and lip might get you some stares but it IS effective.  Jaw thrusts do work well...in the ER. This type of medicine, for an austere location, doesn't lend itself well to traditional protocols. This article is also limited in scope only talking about gunshot wounds. High velocity motor vehicle accidents are another kettle of fish.

Your spontaneous pneumo (I guess you are tall and thin) is a total different animal than Tension Pneumothorax and folks reading your response may feel that Tension is no big deal. It is. I do think people need training and I do not advocate people read and article and begin doing chest decompressions but what if "leaving it for the professionals" means somebody dies?

I can write article all day long on shooting and killing people and nobody bats an eye but when I write one about saving a life... People with Tension Pneumothorax die NOW. People need to understand the seriousness and get training.  I can show somebody how to do a Tracheotomy is 60 seconds or less. Keeping somebody alive until they get to definitive healthcare in a perfect world is easy. Keeping them alive longer means we have to talk about some formerly taboo issues.

We put size 28 to 30 Nasopharyngeal Airways (NPAs) in our kits and they work with all but some small children. Also included with the NPA is some water based lubricant to ease insertion. Blood or saliva will work as well. Cutting the NPA is not necessary if you tape the trumpet in place (you should anyway) or poke a safety pin through the tube to limit its depth. Both of these options can be performed after the airway is established and the patient is breathing. Cutting, taping and needling were just beyond the scope of the short article.

We have two and five day medical classes that get a lot of good reviews. The loudest of which come from Paramedics and ER docs that are amazed at what we accomplish in such a short time. Let me know if you are ever interested.

19kilo:
Have you ever used the safety pin through tongue?   

Working in an E.D. I seen some crazy things.  But for some reason that just creeps me out.

You could not be more right about the tension pneumothorax though.  People die very quickly with these.  And they recover the same when treated with a relatively easy needle decompression.

What is your training BTW?

James Yeager:
19kilo,

I haven't personally done the lip/tongue/safety pin but I have seen it done. Bloody as hell but effective.

When you ask "What is your training?" are you asking what does my company provide or my personal training history?

19kilo:

--- Quote from: James Yeager on December 02, 2008, 03:17:52 PM ---19kilo,

I haven't personally done the lip/tongue/safety pin but I have seen it done. Bloody as hell but effective.

When you ask "What is your training?" are you asking what does my company provide or my personal training history?

--- End quote ---

Like EMT b paramedic,  nurse, MD.  That sort of thing.

I am a Respiratory therapist.  So while I don't get to do much of the trauma and "cool" stuff.  We are at the head of the bed and get to watch a lot of it.

James Yeager:
 The only nationally recognized "paper" certifications I have is First Responder and Combat Lifesaver. Having said that I have had hundreds and hundreds of hours of training in combat trauma care by the best in the business. I have also been in combat and have had team mates killed and injured and have assisted in thier treatment. I am short on credintials but long on field experince and motivation to learn this craft.

Here is the bio from my website: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/160

I hope I have answered your questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version