Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

M.O.V.E.!

<< < (4/4)

flagtag:
Around here, in order to become an EMT, we would have to start with the Advanced First Aid class before we could move on to the higher courses. And as I said, the classes are no longer available at the community college.  I would have to travel approx. 40 mi. , and the cost of the course (EMT) is over $200.oo.
Since I am a single white female with no minor dependants, I couldn't get a grant. (At the CC, the minimum hr. requirement for a grant is 12 credit hours.

I work only part-time now, so time really isn't a problem. Travel and money are.
Yes, we do have to pay for EMT courses ourselves.  (But, like I said, the first aid has to come first - that's besides the cost of the EMT course.)

Taylor3006:

--- Quote from: flagtag on December 02, 2008, 10:23:09 PM ---Around here, in order to become an EMT, we would have to start with the Advanced First Aid class before we could move on to the higher courses. And as I said, the classes are no longer available at the community college.  I would have to travel approx. 40 mi. , and the cost of the course (EMT) is over $200.oo.
Since I am a single white female with no minor dependants, I couldn't get a grant. (At the CC, the minimum hr. requirement for a grant is 12 credit hours.

I work only part-time now, so time really isn't a problem. Travel and money are.
Yes, we do have to pay for EMT courses ourselves.  (But, like I said, the first aid has to come first - that's besides the cost of the EMT course.)

--- End quote ---

You are single, no dependents, and you have free time.. Have you thought about joining up with the reserves or the guard? You get paid during training and when you are done, you give them a weekend a month and then a two week stretch. I know the whole war thing is a bummer for most, but if you go Coast Guard, Air Force, or Navy, you are pretty safe from people shooting at you. You can get all sorts of training even when you are not on duty status. I did over 1400 hours of home study couses and they offer courses on almost everything you can imagine. They are free, you get to keep the course materials and some colleges give credits for the courses. The reserves also help you with your college costs as well and as a vet you have access to lots of programs. Anyways not a recruiter or anything, just read your post and was the first thing I thought of.

19kilo:

--- Quote from: James Yeager on December 02, 2008, 07:47:38 PM ---Guys - I didn't come here to start a turf war. I merely posted that article to motivate people who have never considered trauma care to think about it.  I just wanted to take away some of the mystery and encourage folks to get some training.

--- End quote ---

I haven't taken in that kind way at all. These is a place for a free exchange of ideas.

I just think that if a person can't maintain an their airway because of their tongue, then they are more than likely unconscious.  In that case an oral airway would be a good idea. 

Thank you for your service and we welcome you to the forums.

Will

flagtag:

--- Quote from: Taylor3006 on December 02, 2008, 10:43:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: flagtag on December 02, 2008, 10:23:09 PM ---Around here, in order to become an EMT, we would have to start with the Advanced First Aid class before we could move on to the higher courses. And as I said, the classes are no longer available at the community college.  I would have to travel approx. 40 mi. , and the cost of the course (EMT) is over $200.oo.

--- End quote ---

You are single, no dependents, and you have free time.. Have you thought about joining up with the reserves or the guard? You get paid during training and when you are done, you give them a weekend a month and then a two week stretch. I know the whole war thing is a bummer for most, but if you go Coast Guard, Air Force, or Navy, you are pretty safe from people shooting at you. You can get all sorts of training even when you are not on duty status. I did over 1400 hours of home study couses and they offer courses on almost everything you can imagine. They are free, you get to keep the course materials and some colleges give credits for the courses. The reserves also help you with your college costs as well and as a vet you have access to lots of programs. Anyways not a recruiter or anything, just read your post and was the first thing I thought of.

--- End quote ---

Might have been able to 30 years ago.  I'm 58 (soon to be 59) and grossly out of shape.   :o I don't think they are that desperate!   ;D

James Yeager:

--- Quote from: 19kilo on December 02, 2008, 10:57:19 PM ---
I just think that if a person can't maintain an their airway because of their tongue, then they are more than likely unconscious.  In that case an oral airway would be a good idea. 

--- End quote ---

You are correct; an oral airway is better. The reason I sugest the nasal type is that is is easier to put in place, there is no need to carry multiple sizes, and it is less likely to cause a gag reflex in patients that are in and out of consciousness.

Thank you for the welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version