Author Topic: talk me out of a cheaply made floor jack  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
talk me out of a cheaply made floor jack
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
For whatever reason I've been doing more automotive maintenance recently.   Perhaps it's therapy, or just a change of pace from coding software all week.
In any case, I want something that will lift my vehicles higher in the air, more easily.

I have a couple ancient 3/4 ton jacks that are at least 30 years old.  On our SUV neither can get the vehicle up high enough to remove the wheel.  This is a tool I use a few times a year.  I can probably get by with something of lesser quality.  I will always use jack stands if I'm going under the car, so safety is not a huge concern, though I would prefer if the jack could support it's stated capacity for a period of time.

Is there any reason NOT to get one of the $100 Harbor Freight jacks like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-Low-Profile-Steel-Heavy-Duty-Floor-Jack-with-Rapid-Pump-61282.html

With the regular coupons that only $80.  If it "works", why not?  What confuses me is you can pay 2-3x as much, and I suspicious as to why there's this range in price.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: talk me out of a cheaply made floor jack
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
Only reason I would pay more is to get a lighter one, but I wouldn't spend the money for a couple times a year.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
PITTSBURG is not junk,that is a good jack for your kind of work.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
I've got this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

I can carry with one hand easily. It's lighter duty than what you posted. Works on everything I own except for my F-350

A little more money buys you the same alum jack in a 3 ton.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-62248.html

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
I will always use jack stands if I'm going under the car, so safety is not a huge concern, though I would prefer if the jack could support it's stated capacity for a period of time.
Glad you said this, especially with a cheap jack.  HF has its place in life, especially for a tool only used occasionally.  But jack stands, oh yeah, and the cheaper the jack the more you need'em.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
Glad you said this, especially with a cheap jack.  HF has its place in life, especially for a tool only used occasionally.  But jack stands, oh yeah, and the cheaper the jack the more you need'em.

when I was 15 I worked at a Dairy Queen.  One of the managers was a 50+ year old guy, not so bright (he's 50 and managing kids serving ice cream in hindsight).  Anyhow he was working on the family station wagon when the jack failed and he was trapped up the car for like 3 hours before someone found him.  He lived, but needed PT for over 6 months and had organ damage, etc. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
He lived, but needed PT for over 6 months and had organ damage, etc.
A similar thing happened to a friend, my former car mechanic.  "Former" because he's retired now after the accident.  Gimps around OK, but you can tell he's permanently wracked up.  Stuff like this happens in a flash.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:13:59 AM »
If a jack were intended to HOLD a load rather than raise or lower it...they would call it a JACK-STAND.
ALWAYS USE A SAFETY BLOCK OR JACK STAND.My over the road tire service days with FIRESTONE and GOODYEAR taught me this,by the poor examples and accidents of others.

Offline valley ranch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »
Well, in answer to a problem in an above post, I never get under a car supported by only a jack~always take the time to set jack stands, I'm sure  you do also.

Chinese jacks are copies of good American Made jacks, the machining of the hydraulic cylinders may not have been honed as well and the rubber cups may ware or be cut by metal chips left in during assembly. However you could get a serviceable one. They don't have quality control as do/did American companies were famous for, still you might get a good one. It will be hard to find an American or European made one these days. The highly priced and the cheep jacks from China are usually the same jack, the price being governed by where it's sold.

The floor jack I use, has been with me for 50 years.

Good luck

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
I believe that's the same jack I've had for 10 years and a LOT of use. Still works great except for the wheels that got really wet one winter without my noticing and rusted.

And yeah, the jack is for raising and lowering, not holding it there.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »
Did you check for discount coupons before going to Harbor Freight to buy your jack,the store does not always discount so a printed ad will get you advertised prices.\
$79 for a 72 hour sale this weekend ...see link

http://www.harborfreight.com/#

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »
Did you check for discount coupons before going to Harbor Freight to buy your jack,the store does not always discount so a printed ad will get you advertised prices.\
$79 for a 72 hour sale this weekend ...see link

http://www.harborfreight.com/#

I've not bought it yet.  I'm leaving for a weekend trip with the boy scouts later today.  I might get this next weekdn. HF coupons are widely available to me.  Must get 2 a week.