Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

13 Skills -- Your CCW experience

<< < (5/6) > >>

d3nni5:
@ResidentCelt
I guess the open carry while afield assumes your a hunter here in WV, hence the CCW will at least keep you from having to buy the hunting license.   For me, it isn't really an impact because I'm buying my hunting license with my pistol permit.   Only thing is, if i have it open it must match the guidelines for hunting.   In other words, I can't be open carrying a .380 because that is not a "valid" hunting pistol.   But if I have my .44 on my side, no problem.   Either way I'm covered.

@Alan Georges
Nice that Mississippi has and easy road to carry.   WV for the most part is easy, however, I got mine last year, starting the process in February 2013 with my handgun safety class.   That was right after the CT shooting and there were a flood of applications.   So the wait was every bit of the maximum 45 days.   Interesting that you have 2 types of licenses.  Here it is just one.  Carry anywhere basically, except government buildings (courthouse, sheriff, DMV, etc etc) and the post office.  Any private places posting it you shouldn't carry, but worst that can happen is they ask you to leave.   Take the Target stores for instance, they clearly dont want me carrying.   Fine by me, I clearly don't want to spend my money there.

Funny thing, first time I walked into church carrying I felt weird.  Same going to the bank!   :)

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Mountain State Prepper on October 17, 2014, 08:01:24 PM ---Interesting that you have 2 types of licenses.  Here it is just one.  Carry anywhere basically, except government buildings (courthouse, sheriff, DMV, etc etc) and the post office.

--- End quote ---
I think MS is the only state with this.  I kind of like it (as much as I can ever like having to get a license for effective self-defense  >:(), in that it is trivial to get the basic license.

--- Quote ---Funny thing, first time I walked into church carrying I felt weird.  Same going to the bank!   :)

--- End quote ---
Yeah!  It's kind of like starting to carry a wallet or a pocket knife when I was a kid, it feels all weird and way too grown-up.  Guess we're all getting to be responsible grown-ups around here. 8)

ResidentCelt:
Yeah the danger now is that it feels just like carrying a wallet. You might forget you're carrying until you're staring at a metal detector and suddenly realize you REALLY don't want to empty your pockets into that plastic tub.

nelson96:
Oregon allows open carry any time (except for the usual places ie government buildings and posted private property) and you can conceal carry without a license when traveling to and from fishing or hunting (as long as you don't make a stop in between).  That includes any caliber.

ResidentCelt:
That Oregon law makes sense. If it's raining and I'm hunting, I don't want to be walking back to my truck with my pistol getting soaked. Virginia might have something like that. I know most of the gun laws but I don't hunt so I'm not as familiar with those nuances as I am with general carry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version