Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

13 Skills -- Your CCW experience

<< < (4/6) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
ugh - my permit expires next year.  Need to mail $5 to the state next spring.

ResidentCelt:
Yikes, VA sounds easy: $50 (depending on county, can be cheaper in some counties) and a certificate (can be an online class) mailed with the form to the Clerk of the Court. Good for 5 years.

I joined the WVCDL mailing list since we live so close to your state, MSP. VCDL member of course.

d3nni5:

--- Quote from: ResidentCelt on October 10, 2014, 12:41:04 PM ---Yikes, VA sounds easy: $50 (depending on county, can be cheaper in some counties) and a certificate (can be an online class) mailed with the form to the Clerk of the Court. Good for 5 years.

I joined the WVCDL mailing list since we live so close to your state, MSP. VCDL member of course.

--- End quote ---

Cool, keep us posted on your progress.   WV and VA should have reciprocity.   WV just relaxed the carry laws some for people in the field.   Used to be you had to have a hunting license, regardless of if you had a CCW or not.   Now, you just have to have a CCW...and from what I understand...it MUST be concealed in the field.   If you open carry out in the woods, you should be licensed for hunting, and have the appropriate side arm for hunting.

ResidentCelt:
Oh I've had my VA CHP for a while now. Yeah Virginia has been fighting the carrying-while-hunting battle. You can carry a handgun for self defense while hunting as long as you have a CHP, doesn't matter if it's concealed or open, so long as you have your concealed permit. Sigh. Open carry is legal with no permit so there really is no sense in requiring a permit to open carry while hunting...

If you haven't checked out West Virginia Citizen's Defense League, you should.  WVCDL.org

Alan Georges:
Getting a license in Mississippi is really easy too.  Download a form from the web, fill it out, sign it in front of a notary, have passport photos made, and truck down to a designated DMV office with all of the above plus about $140 in hand.  They were remarkably efficient and friendly there, with only a 20 minute wait to hand it all in, and another half-hour wait for the fingerprint guy to get back from lunch.  Got the license in the mail about three weeks later, once the state had done a criminal background check.  Took care all of that about a year and a half ago.

Mississippi is unique in that it has two levels of concealed carry, "regular" and "enhanced."  The regular license has a long list of no-carry areas – schools, churches, etc. – while the enhanced license shortens the list to police stations, court rooms, prisons, and "places of nuisance" (i.e., whorehouses).  Federal buildings are of course still no-go, but that's pretty much nationwide.  The enhanced license requirements are the same as above, plus an eight hour training session at a state-certified gun school.  Upon completion, you receive a certificate to take back down to the DMV, where an officer looks things over and puts a sticker on the back of your existing license.  That process took all of 15 minutes, and I wrapped it all up last summer.

There's a wonderful kernel of truth in the way Mississippi laws lumps together police, judges, and prostitutes for equal protection under its concealed carry laws.  However, I am not sure that the legislature intended it in quite that way. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version