Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Son's first BB gun

<< < (2/2)

David in MN:
Dad made me build a BB trap with him. That way I had to learn how powerful it could be. It also gave me pride in using the trap I built safely.

He tricked me into using safety glasses by buying a few different colors and telling me that the different colors would make me a better shot depending on light conditions. While not entirely untrue he greatly exaggerated the effect causing me to believe that by wearing safety glasses I would perform to a higher level. Even as an adult I still prefer a light tint when I shoot.

Any dollar store toy became an instant target. Once a kid starts hitting the bullseye with regularity the head goes on a swivel looking for other targets. So he'd come home with anything from balloons to little green army men to checkerboard patterns (hit all the red and none of the black). We'd put up playing cards and shoot them to make poker hands and he'd even hang dollar bills telling the kids we could keep it if we could hit the 1 in a certain corner. We even filled water balloons with paint and hung them over a paper to make our own Jackson Pollack.

I still shoot airguns. My father in law got into some fancy target pellet pistols and rifles a while back and they're every bit as fun as when I was young. Modern reactive targets are a lot easier too. I've lost a few hours to this one.

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=112

Alan Georges:
Old computer CDs make good reactive targets for bb guns.  The way they chip off when hit is entertaining to kids.  Not as common as they used to be, back in the day when we'd get a couple of them a week in the mail from AOL.

OTOH, 22's just sail cleanly through, so that's kind of a bust.

mgw44:
my 8 and 6 year old have daisy red ryders.  The 8 year old can handle the lever pump but it is too tough for the 6 year old.  They also have airsoft handguns.  These go in the gun safe with my guns and are treated the same way.  We hit the back yard range with the same rules I live by.  We use boxes, balloons (thick balloons won't pop with airsoft), and other targets.  They both have safety glasses and they know the four rules of gun safety.  I also use it as a reward for good behavior in school and at home.

so far so good.

mgw44

Carl:
  For TARGETS, it is hard to beat a box of crackers and you leave no glass,metal,or even paper behind.
Just cut a groove in a 2 x 4 or other wood for use as a cracker stand...critters benefit from your low cost targets also. :)
Graduate to animal cookies and pretzels or even spaghetti noodles for more action (drill holes in your board) 

archer:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 28, 2017, 05:30:27 AM ---  For TARGETS, it is hard to beat a box of crackers and you leave no glass,metal,or even paper behind.
Just cut a groove in a 2 x 4 or other wood for use as a cracker stand...critters benefit from your low cost targets also. :)
Graduate to animal cookies and pretzels or even spaghetti noodles for more action (drill holes in your board) 

--- End quote ---

good idea! i gotta try those with my old bb rifle..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version