Author Topic: pocket fishing kit  (Read 6864 times)

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
pocket fishing kit
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
as i was putting up most of my fishing gear i decided to throw together a couple pocket fishing kits.
these will be thrown in the car kits. thought i'd throw it out there for those new to fishing and not sure
what is needed. you could absolutely get by with less, but i think what i have here covers pretty much
everything i would fish for in a tough situation and what is in my area.

the can is 2" x 3 1/4" x 3/4". smaller than a pack of smokes and weighs slightly more.

can
~18' of limb line (forget how strong, 25# probably)
~32' of 12# mono
1 weighted bobber
4 weights
2 swivels
2 medium hooks
1 large hook
1 treble hook
1 black jig
1 chartreuse jig
1 rubber jig
1 beetle spin

not pictured
ranger band around the outside. it packs well and the lid is tight, but never hurts
small piece of foam, about 1 1/2" square and 1/4" thick. the hooks are stuck into that to reduce rattle

things to change
the 12# test, i wound that up using a drill and a dowel then slid off into the little baggie. mistake. that causes the line
to coil up like crazy. when you take it out it gets tangled big time. i've been looking for small sewing spools, but can't find
any that work well. i might try a small rectangle of cardboard with V's cut in the ends and wind it on that.

Offline driftwood_ar

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: pocket fishing kit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
Nice kit. I have tinkered around with similar kits over the last year or so. Your cardboard idea should work fine for storing the line or you could also try using the same piece of foam that you store hooks in to store the fishing line. I cut a section of closed-cell foam in an hour glass shape and wrap the line around the narrow section. the loose end can be slipped into a slit cut in the foam to hold it and the hooks go into the "wide" ends of the foam section. I don't carry that many hooks so I can just drop the extras in the tin when I need to use the kit and line on the foam.

Remember that even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work. ;)

Offline Cianaodh

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Temple Of the Standing Stones
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
Very nice kit! I think I'll try it with an altoids tin.

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
I put together one in a snus can as well. If you still want to use a spool for your line, I would suggest using a bobbin spool from a sewing machine.

Melodee

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
I would suggest using a bobbin spool from a sewing machine.

Great idea, thank you!

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
Most of the time I'm leery of kits using altoids tins but this is more of a modular approach.

Offline Huckleberry

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
Excellent kit!  The only thing I might add, is a couple of fairly small hooks... maybe a 4 and an 8.  My thoughts on this would be small sunfish.  In a situation where you really need to eat, you may be super pumped about that 3-4" bluegill you come up with.  You may already have something fairly small there, I can't tell what the two "medium" hooks are.  The blue one looks like about a 1, so I'm guessing those other two are 2's, but I may be wrong.

You can catch a big fish on a small hook, but it's awfully hard to catch a small fish on a big hook, and they don't take up much room.

Offline coldbore762

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »
Nice kit,

Mine is smiler but I use an aspirin bottle for a container because it will float and is waterproof, I have the same line problems that everyone seems to have but the sewing bobbin is a great idea. I also carry a lot of hooks, maybe 30 or so, most of them small. I figured that the hooks are the hardest things to replace from nature.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
That's a nice looking kit, sludgy_nixer!

As suggested by others, I'd add a couple of smaller hooks in there.

I've carried a pocket survival fishing kit in my car for quite some time.

I now have a few of these kits in the car because I actually use them quite often. I'm always loosing bait, hooks line, sinkers and bobbers while testing out different variations on what I include. That and because it's fun, of course.

If you really want to blow a kid's mind show up at a fishing spot where the kids are, pull out the kit and land a fish!

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
Try braided line, like Spiderwire, rather than mono, it coils much less.  otherwise, awesome!

I also add a couple of dry flies and bead head nymphs to mine.