Energy Options > Solar Power

Portable solar system to run electric fans

(1/8) > >>

surfivor:
I am interested in a portable solar system to run a couple of fans at my camp when it’s very hot out. I would like to have one fan that blows air out the window and another fan that blows air on me. When it’s warm out sometimes my yurt gets very hot in the afternoon such that it is too hot to take a nap, cook or do anything

I have this little fan that uses 6 D batteries but it doesn’t push enough air when it gets really hot

Would I be looking at one 12 V battery and some panels? How long will the battery run the fans for roughly?  On a hot day it can be too hot from about 11:00 to 4:30. It is not hot every day and if I am not inside the yurt then I don’t need to run fans. It would be nice if such a system could run fairly powerful fans for 2 or 3 hours. There is some sun here but much of it is partial sun or direct sun only during certain parts of the day. If the system is not too heavy or bulky I could possibly place it in a more open area 1/10 of a mile back onto my property for charging

What are some good systems?

This would also be a good backup system to have. I would be Interested  in something portable so I could move it back-and-forth between my camp and my house if I wanted to

armymars:
  It depends on how big the fans are. It's all about voltage and current needed to run them. I once read ther was a tent design that lowered the temp. by 20 degrees. It involved a tarp above the tent with a one foot spacing. This would cause an air flow between the tent and tarp.

Carl:
 :popcorn:  Just getting some fresh popcorn ,for now.BUT ,air circulation makes up for a lot of sweat and many good fans are made for RV's that run from solar direct or 12 volt battery. A small fan directed across you can do a lot and maybe you should look into a roof vent to open more circulation as hot air naturally rises and ventilation can often be fixed without use of power ...HINT for some I use are just auxiliary auto radiator cooling fans from a scrap yard.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: Carl on June 01, 2018, 10:12:09 AM --- :popcorn:  Just getting some fresh popcorn ,for now.BUT ,air circulation makes up for a lot of sweat and many good fans are made for RV's that run from solar direct or 12 volt battery. A small fan directed across you can do a lot and maybe you should look into a roof vent to open more circulation as hot air naturally rises and ventilation can often be fixed without use of power ...HINT for some I use are just auxiliary auto radiator cooling fans from a scrap yard.

--- End quote ---

There is a large skylight but it does not have many clean edges so that installing a screen would be complicated. There are various springs and a gear where are you open it using a stick Turner.  All those things create a jagged area.

Bolomark:
I installed an attic fan in gable end of my house, solar panel is mounted on an old direct TV satellite arm adjustable both ways.The sun hits it at 10 am runs until sun goes down.
it is controlled by thermostat  (72deg.)  and fuse and works great.I picked up my fan and panel from backwoods solar. no batt. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version