Energy Options > Solar Power

Friday the 13TH tornado,Did I survive?

(1/4) > >>

Carl:
  I am not on my normal PC as it appears to have a dead power supply and many other things get my attention for now.

Just after midnight,during a third wave of thunderstorms (5 PM,9 PM,and midnight) I measured over 90 MPH winds on my wireless local WX station. 3 or 4 tr and router long enough to alert a friend and my parents that mp hour of battery and 120 watts of solar....but to keep the food in the fridge/freezer properly cold is very costly and it was difficult to tie an inverter to my auto as I can't walk unaided and my walker takes two hands...and a backpack. The battery bank ran the fridge over 14 hours as I started when temp was above 10 in the freezer and ran for 4 hours to keep food and insulin proper.I let all else dark and wore a headlight to navigate the dark house till this morning and I got the inverter/auto and cables set up. At idle ,the auto provided 340 watts to run the fridge and charge some of the batteries a bit,the solar helped though only a bit over 6 amps from solar and so I had to charge the 1600 watt battery/inverter that would run about 4 hours during tonight ,if needed. I had the fridge to temp and one battery mostly charged by noon and had to lay down...Power was restored about 1 PM.

When told my situation,my father just asked if I needed an ice chest? I reminded him he has my generator for the last 4 years and yet know that he has not even started it on occasion and probably hasn't even poured out the ancient gas he killed it with 4 years ago. The auto/inverter trick works just fine for my simple needs and expected help may never arrive. Todays electronic gadgets are so often the first things to fail.

Hurricane:
Glad you made it!

Carl:
  Thanks, with my health,I probably should not live alone as everything is tough when I can't walk un-aided.

mountainmoma:
Good test of your preps !

-- You kept your insulin cold
-- You didnt do anything crazy that could have risked a fall when on your own in a storm
-- You had sufficient water and food and a working headlamp flashlight

Glad you guys made it thru ok. Since you have insulin, do you have other back-up low power ways to keep it cold ? Steve Harris says an electric plug in ice cube maker uses the least power, and they dont cost much, would insulin keep good in a cooler with ice made from that ? Or an RV 3 way fridge that can run off electric or propane ? Seems that if power was out longer you would need to have been able to move it somewhere else, as it would not be good to have a disabled man in a walker out in a tornado hooking up the car inverter.....

The rest of us who God did not give  practice run to use preps this weekend should take this all as a reminder to try ours out

Carl:
  I have a USB,very low power,fridge that will keep insulin at or below 40 degrees with a very low power demand for extended situations and I keep about 10 months ahead in rotation...the USB fridge is to chill ONE soda can though works well for my load of insulin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version