Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Edged Weapons and Tools

What knife are you carrying now?

<< < (12/15) > >>

NWPilgrim:
We have a Champ and a couple of other "tool closet" models but they rarely make it out of the house.  Pretty cool so much can be packed into that platform but generally not worth the weight/space for backpack or pocket.  Over the years I found what I use the most are the toothpick, main blade, cork screw (surprisingly often given my infrequent personal wine consumption), both screw drivers, and the saw when hiking.  The Camper and similar models like the Farmer and Pioneer IIRC hit the sweet spot for my uses.  Camper in my left pocket and the Para 2 clipped to my right pocket covers 99% of everyday needs.

I went through a similar reduction with Leathermans.  Originally bought the Super Tool, then the Wave, but a few years ago realized I never used half of the tools, and especially not the driver attachments.  I tried the Juice and some other small model but the tiny pliers are minimally useful, and THAT is one of the big uses for a multi-tool. So the Sidekick became the optimal combination of reduced weight but still a collection of most used full size tools.  I carry the Sidekick on my belt at work.

For my long day hike next week I'm going to try carrying my new Fallkniven S1 (5").  I resisted getting an expensive fixed blade but finally caved into getting a Fallkniven (go ahead and laugh because I've spent plenty on folders but could not imagine spending $150+ on a sheath knife.  Probably should be the other way around).  Man, what a beautiful knife.  The blade is thick yet handles very well, light years better than those 1/4" thick 1095 choppers.  It came with a very sharp edge and responds easily to a bench stone and hone, unlike some of the super steels in a folder I have (M390). The handle is on the short/thin side, but the blade is so great I'll over look that.  I wasn't planning on carry this large of knife for hiking but it actually rides better on my belt than some of my 4" knives.  The main reason for taking it hiking is that here in the PNW many of the trails are not maintained frequently and often the rapid growth of vegetation means sections of trails can be crowded with blackberry vines, or even obscured by other undergrowth.  The weight of the S1 blade is enough to make hacking small branches and vines very easy compared to a lighter knife like the Moraknivs or even Bucks.  The forward balance makes it feel like a better hacker than even the larger Ka-Bar which is really too big for day hikes.  So it feels light on the belt, handles very adroitly, yet have nice blade weight for hacking branches.  I've never used a knife for batonning wood but the S1 should easily be able to take that beating and be thick enough to help split the wood. The blade feels indestructible (unless you baton with a rock like a YouTube idiot). 

Plan to hike with my SAK Camper, Para 2, and Fallkniven S1.  Don't need the Para 2 for this hike, but since it is also new thought I would take it into the woods to try some lunch time whittling, etc.

fritz_monroe:
Picked up a Mora a couple of weeks ago.  I immediately filed the back of it to be able to get a spark from a ferrocium rod.  I also dropped it into a glass of hot vinegar to build up a patina to combat rust.  Will be taking it with me camping next week to see how it does in day to day camping chores.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on July 27, 2019, 04:13:11 PM ---I resisted getting an expensive fixed blade but finally caved into getting a Fallkniven (go ahead and laugh because I've spent plenty on folders but could not imagine spending $150+ on a sheath knife.  Probably should be the other way around).  Man, what a beautiful knife. 

--- End quote ---

They. Are. Awesome.  No doubt about it.  The only downside is you can't stop after just one.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on July 27, 2019, 07:06:41 PM ---They. Are. Awesome.  No doubt about it.  The only downside is you can't stop after just one.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have a feeling the F1 (4") and A1 (6") will work their siren song on me. Logically I think the S1 with a Mora or medium/large folder, or even just a SAK, covers most needs.  I am going to try to hold off a few months at least and give the S1 a chance to see if it really is a do-everything-a-3"-knife-can't.  But I am way beyond limiting my guns and knives to just what is needed and well into the just-because-Merica or for fun!

The handle and sheath are "adequate", nothing exceptional even at this price point.  But that blade is a work of art and executed with precision.  If you drive along Hiway 6 in the coast raange next week and spy a new clear cut, you'll know I got carried away with my new knife.

Advertising copy...

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on July 27, 2019, 05:02:57 PM ---Picked up a Mora a couple of weeks ago.  I immediately filed the back of it to be able to get a spark from a ferrocium rod.  I also dropped it into a glass of hot vinegar to build up a patina to combat rust.  Will be taking it with me camping next week to see how it does in day to day camping chores.

--- End quote ---

I love Moras.  Which one are you taking along?  I have used the Companion, Companion HD, and Garberg.  After going bigger and heavier with them I decided to try the thinner 3.5" Craftline Pro S and really like it.  Extremely handy, and like all Moras, very well constructed and easy to keep sharp at such a great price point.  The sheath is nicer than my old Companions, too.

I look forward to your camping report.
For some reason I have only used Moras around the yard and house and in the truck tool box, but rarely took one for hiking or camping duty except for food prep.  They carve well, puncture and slice well, and sharpen super easy.  For $10-$20 you get a LOT of knife capability.

Just for fun a pic of the little Craftline...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version